Scanning Help. (Nikon Coolscan 5000)

peter_lamotte

I will be the first to admit that I am new to scanning photos with equipment

this nice. But I am missing something in the process. Every time I scan photos

the get a massive amount grain. I use the software in the scanner to reduce

grain, but have to think I am doing something wrong. Can anyone help here? I

am not sure what to tell you about the settings, I think I have everything on.

But if you ask a question I can tell you whatever the setting is.<div>00Ngdc-40419884.jpg.2d6ac5c7ece64be414bac9bcd7a35ee7.jpg</div>

For color negatives or slides which are NOT Kodachrome, you can try these settings for Nikon Scan 4.0.2. These are in the "Toolbox" tab.<p>

Toolbox:<p>

Curves, color balance, unsharp mask, LCH editor all disabled.<p>

ICE normal<p>

ROC 0<p>

GEM 3 (Higher values diminish grain even more, but may blur details)<p>

DEE = off<p>

Scan Image Enhancer = OFF<p>

Multisampling 4X<p>

16 bit scans<p>

The actual grain suppression is performed by GEM (Grain equalization management), which is listed under the ICE4 tab.

<p>

If you're scanning Kodachrome, make sure that "Film type" is set to Kodachrome. Otherwise, if ICE is turned on, the scanner will crash. Kodachrome requires a modified version of ICE compared to the standard C41 or E6 films.

As one can see, the grain is invisible at small enlargements of the full frame, and not that bad at 100% for 4000 ppi. The main problem is the large dynamic range of Kodachrome, which the Coolscan V doesn't handle that well. The Coolscan 5000 should be better. If it's not, you're doing something wrong.

Radford, I scan Kodachrome occasionally, too. If you disable ICE, would you mind telling

me specifically what you use to pre-clean the film before scanning? I'm guessing that you

must do so, because I've experimented both using ICE and not using it with K-64, and

when I didn't use it, the work involved with the cloning stamp was too much. Also, do you

really notice much of a difference not using ICE on Kodachrome? Thanks!