Corrupt images...Nikon or Sandisk?

alan_markowitz1

Hi everyone,

I'm shooting with the D80 and a 2gb Sandisk Ultra II.

I would say that about 2% of my shots come out corrupt. I shoot about 500

images a day, then download them to my PC, format the memory card and reuse the

next day.

I'm pretty sure it's not the Nikon. Could my memory card be dying? Does it

become less "usable" after a lot of usage? Would a low-level format help?

Thank you!

Hard to say. My D70 is getting some electronics problems with the card interface, which sometimes results in corrupt images. Luckily, I notice them pretty quickly in the previews.

The easiest way to diagnose the problem is to buy a second card (they're cheap), try that and see if the problem persists.

If the memory card is dying, it should be marking blocks as bad. I don't know how many spare blocks the card has or whether one can easily how many bad blocks a CF card has, but a rapid growth of bad blocks means that the card is dying soon. Maybe the available size on the card decreases in such circumstances...

Sandisk. I am getting the same problem with an Extreme IV 8GB CF since day one and last week the D2Xs simply did not accept the card anymore (CHA error). A week dealing with Sandisk customer centre, did everything, formatted, even used the HP USB Flash Formatting tool as advised by them and nothing.

Instead of wasting your time here, go to www.sandisk.com register your product and open a RMA ticket and enjoy a whole week fiddling around with the card.

There are a lot of counterfeit Sandisk cards floating around. Nearly everything sold in the marketplace in China is counterfeit, so it's easy for someone to stock up at 10 cents on the dollar and sell them at "bargain" prices in the US. In my experience, all are defective and many don't work at all.

Excellent! I'll try the solutions posted and report back to the thread in a few days, if anyone wants to pop back and see.

Here's what I'll do:

1. Format the card in the camera

2. Download my next batch of photographs from a card-reader and then direct from the camera and see if there's a difference.

3. Try another card (which I already have, I just can't remember which one is corrupting... could be both, not sure).

All these will take a few days, but I'll be back.

Thank you all!

If the problem persists on more than one card, then you could also try downloading to a different computer; I have one computer that regularly corrupts images on download - I've never been able to figure out why - no problem though because I download to my other computer or laptop and can then access all images from a shared drive.

This discussion brings up an old argument about buying quality products. This is not the first time I have heard negative reports about the Sandisk, my D1X, by the way, came with a Sandisk. I have always had excellent results with Lexar cards and have used their recovery software on 3 occasions with great success. (I believe the corrupted file problem is due to a flaw in the Nikon, which I think I have solved) My local dealer told me he recomends the Lexar to his pro nikon users. This being said, I personally would never buy the cheap alternatives.

I had grey blocks covering parts of my images - about 5% were bad or corrupted. I sent the camera off to Nikon for repair. They did not know what caused the problem. The problem persisted when I continued using the TEAM 2 GB CF card. I threw out the card and the problem has not returned. It must have been the CF card. I always format in my D70s camera. Don

I'm back and my verdict is that the card is corrupting the images.

When I formatted the card in the Nikon before the shoot, I had no corrupt images. Another time I forgot to format and the corruption returned (I think it happens more as the card starts to get full).

I also tried downloading to another PC but the corrupt image remained corrupt.

So anyway, format those cards if you know they are going to get full and DEFENITELY make sure you buy the original and not a fake.

Thank you all.