Which medium format scanner should I buy?

I mainly shoot bands for national rock magazines. I want the best medium format

(120) scanner possible and I am willing to spend a few thousand $$$ on one.

Which one should I buy and why?

Nikon 9000 looks tasty... but I hear good things about the epson 750 too.

Cheaper isn't actually better for me- but if better happens to be cheaper... score.

I think my needs are fairly simple... enlargements no greater than a tour poster

(24" x 36") crisp sharpness and good color reproduction! I might shoot color

reversal but I am curious how to reverse a color negative with a scanner.

Software I know- but what kind?

I have shot digital for 3 years and finally burnt out on it. I just picked up a

medium format (6x4.5) and I am itching to go! I am going to stick to the

digital darkroom though...

I guess I finally see the light... glory hallelujah take me home...

Seriously though, thanks for your responses... I am new here after poaching info

from the sidelines for quite some time.

tg<div>00NcZo-40321684.jpg.3693e8b6856d5020fe858fd5b87cf2fe.jpg</div>

I don't have any experience with the Epson, but I have a Nikon 8000 ED at home and I can tell you it's fantastic at color reproduction for both slides and negatives. You simply don't have to do any corections pre or post scan. Resolution and sharpness is great and afaik the 9000ED has the same specs as the 8000ED only a little faster.

If you are willing to spend the bucks, go for it. Great works, by the way!

Take care,

Alecu

Medium format film scanned on a V700 has about the same resolution as 35mm film scanned on a Nikon LS-4000/8000 (same resolution specs). Considering the cost of equipment and materials, it is a waste of time and money to use a flatbed scanner. Buy a decent scanner or stick with 35mm.

Imacon scanner have a software call (dont remember, dont have the scanner close to me for the past 2years)) that do exactly the same as Digital ICE. But between you and me i much prefer to run a action that i create to remove as a batch all the small imperfection and dust across my image that taking much more time using Digital Ice on my images.

What you can do also is buy a used digital back so you can still shoot with your medium format and have the image already hirez ready to go for the price of a imacon scanner : )

Also, i had a v750 epson scanner fluid mount that was pretty close to what i could get from a Imacon, i say pretty close, because once the image blowup you could see that the epson was less define on the smaller details..but for a 16x20 it was pretty impressive, and pretty good compare to a 10 0000$ scanner.

i bought a used Imacon Flextight III 4years ago for 10 000$CAN. There is a Imacon 848 and 348 i think that are way more faster (it could take up to 30min to get a full rez scan from a medium format) but with all of them you could also scan up to a 8x10..thats impressive.

google imacon and you should get a price range for your need, also check them used, you could get a pretty good deal (if you undersatnd that my scanner was selling for 24 000$ 7 years ago and i pay *only* 10 000$)

• 2 weeks later...