alternative to nikon SB800

leonard_forte1

Function exactly the same in what regard? As a controller or off-camera slave in the CLS system... or just as a bounceable on-camera TTL strobe? The SB800 is very sophisticated. The SB600, which costs less, comes fairly close in a lot of important ways, but even that speedlight - made by Nikon and intended for use in their integrated system - falls short in important ways for certain applications. If you need what the SB800 can do (ALL of what it can do), there is no substitute. You didn't mention what camera body you're using, how you expect to use the unit (off-camera? cabled? wireless? in a group of units? with an external power pack? etc), so it's a little hard to further qualify my response. Not knowing all of that other info, I'll say that your other choice - while maintaining much of what is good about the SB800 - is the SB600. Beyond that, it all depends on things you need to clarify.

You can buy something larger or smaller than the SB-800, more powerful, cheaper. However, you can't buy a flash that's better coordinated to a Nikon camera, nor with more functionality. Nikon is without equal in flash integration.

The little diffusion cap that comes with the SB-800 will fill the room with light and nearly eliminate shadows. What more could you want? If I need more or better-directed light, I use a Q-flash or a set of monolights (and a flash meter).

No. There isn't another "good" alternative to the SB-800. Well the SB-600 is a great unit. A tad less power and loss of a couple controls.

I really advise you not to use third party flashes to save a couple dollars on a speed light. You'll end up wishing you would have spent the extra couple of dollars on the Nikon flash units.

Keep in mind, you might not need the features it has now, but if you do, you'll have them.

If you don't need the extra power of the SB-800 (about 1 stop), or to be able to use it on camera as a 'commander' (you have that facility built in to your D200), then go for the SB-600; it is more compact and lighter than it's big brother, but still packs a good punch. IMO the controls are better laid out than on the SB-800 too. Budget for a Stofen diffuser as well for a great package.

Sunpak offers a few flash units that claim TTL compatibility with most current Nikon dSLRs.

I tried a Sunpak TTL flash on my D2H a couple of years ago. I don't recall the model, tho'. It worked fine from the hotshoe. I didn't test it as a remote, from my SC-29 cord, etc. It felt a bit less rugged than the SB-800 but might be a reasonable alternative.

Complex speed lights are more likely to break. I just dropped a Nikon 80-DX in the trash last week - it started zooming continuously and the menu disappeared.

So I've decided that simple inexpensive lights are the best option for me. Other folks prefer fancy features to make using flash easier. But I find that sometimes that can make it more difficult to really learn how light behaves.