Arches & Canyonlands Winter Itinerary

josphy

I'm going to be traveling to the Moab, UT/Arches NP/Canyonlands NP area from

approx. Dec. 24 through January 1. I'll be driving from central Texas.

Basically, from internet research & using Photographing the Southwest as a

reference, I've come up with the following itinerary, which I think is a pretty

good balance of hitting the major attractions and also allowing time for some

R&R and exploration of Moab. In addition, I've planned for some nights camping

out (yes, I know it will be cold) and some nights in hotel. I'll also add that

I drive a Kia Rio, so any trips that require 4WD or high clearance vehicles are

not options.

I am having a hard time posting the itinerary on here formatted, so I made a

blog to post it on.

http://ebblight.blogspot.com/

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. are very welcome!

First of all, have reservations in Moab. This place, formerly mecca of mountain bikers and hikders and Jeep Rentals has become the Mecca of the ATV.. and the place spends its life booked these days.

Also, be aware that it can snow significantly in the mountainous approaches to Moab to the point where you may have to abandon plans. I had this happen last May.

I have been to the area 4 times now and love it. I do not love the whining sound of ATV's and Dirt Bikes. I also do not love taking photos of their tracks across the cryptobiotic soils and high marking of hills.

I've been to Devil's Garden CG and (though not having experience around Christmas time)

it's always been crowded. If you arrive in the afternoon you may not find a vacant camp

site. Have a Plan B just in case and call the ranger office for arrival time suggestions. They

can advise you better than I can. These are the shortest days of the year with sunset

shortly after 5PM. So by 3:00 you will need to be on your way to your sunset destinations;

drive, park, hike in, and camera set up. Nights are long so bring warm gear and plenty to

read or something to occupy your time. Perhaps a good opportunity for star trails shots.

Your evening meals will be after dark and you may want to drive into Moab to a warm

restaurant. The inverse applies to your morning destinations. Expedite breakfast and hit

the trails early. Landscape arch is on the way to the fins if I remember correctly, combine

it into one trip. Take a map, some people get lost in the fins, we found two lost hikers in

there once. Your scenic destinations are popular tourist places. If this is your first trip to

Arches you will enjoy it. Look for trails leading from DG CG and discover some less known

arches - and get great photos without the crowds. Ask a ranger for trails away from the

popular tourist paths. I like Island in the Sky too. If you haven't already, read Desert

Solitaire by Edward Abbey. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the info, Nancy & David. I'm a little surprised to think it would be that crowded. From everything I've read, the area is not very busy at this time of year.

Dead Horse Point SP is on my itinerary already -- looks like a spectacular place.

Your itinerary should be OK but only if the weather cooperates.

If you happen to get there during a winter storm, several of the areas will probably be in a state where you won't be driving a Kia Rio. The Green River Overlook, for example, is miles on a gravel road.

If you are not an experienced winter hiker/camper, be VERY careful to watch the weather! Moab is over 4000ft and your proposed destinations are all higher than that. Be prepared for severe weather & have survival gear in your car as well as with you when hiking. Be aware that you'll will have ZERO cell phone signal in much of the area, so don't think you can call for help...unless you have a satellite phone.

It is a wonderful area I've been back to again and again. You'll have a great time so long as you're properly prepared.

So with regards to the weather conditions, let's assume just a typical winter amount of snow, I probably shouldn't have any trouble reaching Moab itself (I'll be coming in from the south on 191), but that some of my destinations within the parks would probably be inaccessible?

I seem to remember getting some really good shots around sunrise at Balanced rock. Also, you did not state the road you would be taking into Moab. If it is the one I took, going south from an Interstate, it is very photogenic--allow for time for great shots along the river of the rocks and mountains.

Also there is a very scenic road in Moab along the side of the mountain range. I cannot remember its name or number, but you will see it on the map. If it is open and if the light is right, you might want to drive it at least part way.

For Delicate Arch, check the full moon/moon rise time schedule and try and coordinate your hike to get the moon rise in your picture. http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_rstablew.pl

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/MoonPhase.php

Take all of your lenses, wide angle to long teles. You will be amazed of the opportunities especially in Arches.

Joe Smith

Joe,

I live about 100 miles south of Moab near Dolores, Co and we are in a deep freeze. It was

11 degrees last night. Motels in Moab do not get much use in Dec/Jan/Feb and you should

be able to get a room for under $40.00/night single as of last winter. Many will have

continental breakfast, although I usually miss out because I'm out shooting before they

open but they also have coffee and tea access at night. And it is a long night.

There are campgrounds along the river at the north end of town that may be open as well

with showers if that appeals to you. You can be at the Windows in 30 minutes for a sunrise

or Dead Horse in an hour if the roads are dry.

191 should be good, Monticello, Utah is a high point and will get snow and ice first.

good shooting

Jeff, Green River Overlook is paved IIRC. Are you thinking of the Canyonlands Recreation Area overlooks?

Joe, I would at least call around for hotel rooms before guessing as to their availability. Regarding camping, if the Arches campground is full, you can always find space at a BLM campgground or commercial site on the north side of town.

I have yet to go to Mesa Arch and have it to myself; you are likely to be in competition with others, and possibly more so on the 31st than if you scheduled it for a non-holiday weekday. Get there early and prepare to wait in the cold for sunrise. Don't leave too soon after sunrise, either - the best light is actually a bit after sunrise.

If by "fins" you mean the Fiery Furnace, I would not enter that area without a guide or experience. If you just mean taking pictures from outside, or in some of the less confusing fin areas, you'll be fine.

Be prepared to be flexible. E.g. if you have ground fog, move to meet the edge of it, or get above it on the canyon rim. Fresh snow or ice will make the hikes to Delicate Arch and Double O Arch miserable and somewhat dangerous.

Re: moonrise - full moon is the 24th; a sunset/moon combo may be a day earlier than you arrive.

Re: Green River Overlook, Martres describes the road in his book as a "good 1 1/2-mile gravel road to the large parking area", so, in the absence of snow, I think it will be navigable in my car.

But yeah, my plan is just to be flexible. I may eliminate/re-arrange some things depending on how the weather cooperates and so forth. I may give some of my potential lodgings a call some time this week to gauge how busy they are.

As to having some of these locations to myself, I guess I'll find out when I get there. I'm sort of hoping that few people will be as crazy as I am to be out there in the middle of winter. I'm sure it's safe to say there will be a lot less people than usual.

I'll admit that I have no experience of winter camping, but you gotta start somewhere right? I'm pretty well equipped in terms of tent, hardcore sleeping bags, etc. I just plan to exercise caution, and make sure to check with park rangers about the conditions of roads and so forth.

Sounds like you're ready to go. Enjoy!

As to crazy people, the fewest I've seen at Mesa Arch was three, on a cold Tuesday in early February. I certainly hope that's fewer than would be there on an early Summer morning, but since I avoid the area like the plague during vacation season, I wouldn't know. :)

Thanks for the refresher on the Green River road. I haven't been out there the past couple of times I've been to Canyonlands - kinda blurs the memory...