tumble2113

I already have the SB800 but it's bulk seems to get in the way for most of the

shots I need (Just indoor candids) and was thinking of getting the SB400

because of it's size and price.

My questions is more of the crystal ball type. Does anyone think Nikon will

come out with a commander version the SB400? (or is there something like this

that I am missing) it seems that if the SB 400 could remote fire the SB-800

then it would be a great addition, the 400 would be enough for most of my

shooting and then when I want to take the 800 I could use it off camera :)

Or is this the case of upgrading the camera (Currently D50) to enjoy all the

benefits.

Jim

The main reason I would buy a SB-400 is to use it when my in camera flash will not get the job done--like with my 18-70mm lens set at 18-20mm. The in camera flash casts a shadow because it hits the lens barrel/shade. Since I already have the SB-800, I can use it in these situations. Now if I were traveling and weight/size were an issue, then I might consider getting an SB-400. Joe Smith

Jim, as usual, any future Nikon product, crystal ball type question will unlikely lead to useful answers. It is anybody's guess.

I think the SB-600 should be the better answer. In the vertical position, the SB-400 cannot be tilted upward for bounce flash.

On the other hand, if you prefer a small flash that can be controlled from a pop-up flash or SU-800, there is always the SB-R200, but that is not hot shoe mounted flash.

thanks for all the responses. I like the SB-800 it's just big for most of the stuff I want to do. I certainly wont get rig of it though, it's been great.

What if I was to upgrade down the road to something like the D80, it has the wireless control of the SB800, would it also be able to use the SB400 on the hot shoe and still fire the SB800? I am just tryi g to see how much additional use I can get out of the 400 as well.

Jim

The D80, along with the D70/D70s, D200 and D300 use their pop-up flash as the controller. Therefore, if you would like to use the D80 to control the SB-800, you cannot put any flash or flash extension cord such as the SC-28 in the hot shoe; doing so would prevent the pop-up flash from popping up.

Like other people here I really love SB400 for its value. Considering how compact it is, the light it produces is quite sufficient. And there is no comparison between SB400 and dysfunctional built-in flash of my D70 (only good for shooting mice). But I am sure you knew that.

Thanks for the info, that was my thought too. It's better then the built in and lighter than the SB-800, I certainly wont get rid of the 800, but it would be nice to lighten the load when I just want to use it for snapshots. And if I ever going to be shooting mice I can use the built in :)

• 3 weeks later...

Would the 400 make a good addition for a D40 (6MP)? I'm looking at getting my first flash, and I know that I'll likely be sticking with Nikon for a while, so even though the D40 body is limited, I do want to get some equipment that will transfer to another body later. I've been looking at the SB-400 and the SB-600, and I don't think I need remote (at least not yet), but I do want to be able to bounce light.

Would this be worth getting for someone that is just starting? or will it lead to some headaches?

The SB-400's flash head can only tilt upward but not sideways; in other words, you can only bounce in the landscape (horizontal) orientation but not in portrait (vertical). Moreover, the SB-400 is probably too weak to bounce in a lot of situations anyway. If you are completely a casual photographer, the SB-400 is ok. Otherwise, I would get at least the SB-600, which can bounce in either orientation.