Sigma 10-20mm: Filter suggestions?

danphillips

Daniel,

Firstly I wholeheartedly agree with Andrew that habitual use of 'protective' filters is not a good idea - the lens hood serves that purpose admirably 95% of the time without causing any loss of IQ; the only time I use one is in severe conditions eg driving rain, sand etc.

I use the 10-20mm, on Nikon, and get no vignetting at all even with a Hoya circular polariser, so as Gerald says - don't waste your money on 'super slim' types.

Nick.

Hoya super HMC circular polarizer costs around $100. Light rays which are reflected by any surface become polarized and polarizing filters are used to select which light rays enter your camera lens. Linear Polarizing and Circular Polarizing filters have the same effect, but it is important that you choose the correct version for your camera. They allow you to remove unwanted reflections from non-metallic surfaces such as water, glass etc. They also enable colors to become more saturated and appear clearer, with better contrast. This effect is often used to increase the contrast and saturation in blue skies and white clouds. HOYA's polarizing filters do not affect the overall color balance of a shot.Linear polarizing filters cannot be used on DSLR's. Many of today's cameras use semi-silvered mirrors or prisms to split the light entering the viewfinder in order to calculate exposure and focusing distance. Linear Polarizing filters can sometimes interact with these items to give unpredictable exposure or focusing. I have been using the Hoya super HMC CPL without any light fall of and with brilliant results with my Sigma 10-20mm on a D70s.<div>00NVeI-40142084.jpg.3f6520da9843e1eaf6a327597cfbbdd6.jpg</div>

I use a thin version B&W Polarizer on occasion... No vignetting, but you have to be careful with the effect in the sky at extreme wideangle because it can be uneven. I would not use a protective filter, but purchase a rider on homeowners/renters insurance for your lenses.

I used to use those UV fitlers but not any more. They do cause problems when a strong light shines directly on the lens. I have some expensive lenses and none are scratched. I think the UV deal is a gimmick for camera shops to make more $$. I am very careful to ALWAYS use the lens cap when not taking a photo, and I do use a lens hood too. The rare times I do need something to cover the lens elements, such as taking photos in a dust storm or in the spray of a waterfall, I use a multi-coated filters, usually a Hoya SMC thin UV. The "UV" part seems to do nothing for photos.

Kent in SD