Cute Ideals

ernie.grimes

ernie - depends a lot on what the teenagers want to do. in that age range, I would try to stay away from cute and just do something classic or fun, but not cute.

just for fun: 'cute ideals'....what is that?

"oh, look at how that young person wants to change the world! how darling!"

Are these city kids? Is it a more rural family? Do they do anything regularly with their grandparents? The ideas are generally driven by the manner in which they live and the things that they (the subjects) and the grandparents enjoy. Sometimes "cute," though, can seem too staged and hokey - so, a more natural setting might be a better fit. Their grandparents aren't there, in the house, but they're teenagers, right? Get a picture of them doing something all teenagers do: eating. Sharing a pizza, for example. The grandparents will know it's a genuine moment.

My favorite thing to do with a group like that is to chat with them, get to know them a little while I get things set up. They usually warm up to me and seem to be really relaxed. I know they don't forget that I'm taking a photograph of them, but they are no longer focusing on it. We just keep on chatting and then they begin to interact with each other. That's when things happen and I can always get something very real, very natural. I can still be in control and give some direction, but it is much less posed and more natural. That's what I like and that's how I like to shoot.

Funny I just did a shoot wit 2 kids for the grandparents. I took my clients to a park (I know this is normal). I asked the kids to bring a framed picture of their grandparents with them and EVERY shot I took, they either held up the picture or they were hugging them! I had them place the frame on the ground while they were both blowing kisses to the framed picture. The shoot turned out great AND I sold about 30 8x10's! Good luck V/R Buffdr

You could get one comfy chair and tell them they all have to find a place on it for the photo. Shoot the whole time they are getting situated. Sometimes it can be fun watching the interaction and it almost never fails that someone will sit on top of someone and laughter will ensue. Plus, I think teenagers are physically unable to sit in a chair properly no matter what and that can make for an interesting shot! Good luck