I need recommendation for a 645 camera!

alfred_neuman

Ive just enrolled to a photography course in my local college and we will be

using film and i want to use a medium format so that I can benefit from the real

advantage of the medium.

My first consideration will be price and second is portability.

Thanks for your suggestions.

-Rocky

get a mamiya rz used on ebay. much bigger film and the used market is amazing, no one

want this genius camera anymore, but the quality is still as good as it was 3 years ago. Don't

get to many gizzmos, just a body, prism, 2 backs, a pola back and the legendary 140 macro

and you're in heaven

Mamiya, Pentax, Hasselblad, Rollei,Fuji, Contax,Zenza Bronica. They are all very good.

For collage I would choose an slr. Because you might need to able to do both macro and

other stuff.

If digital is an issue- the Mamiya 645 af 2 or Mamiya rz (is it pro2d?) are capable of

mounting the Mamiya zd back, that back is the least excpensiv I know.

Mamiya Rz is good(Rb is good too, but discontinued) , if you want to do everything at high

quality and low cost.

You get more portable, sizing down to 6x45. i think the Pentax is compact, the Mamiya

645 pro is nice, recently discontinued and lowcost. Bronica is since longer discontinued, I

had the 6x6 once. Good picture, but not very robust. Contax is recently discontinued too,

and nice.

With the Rz you only NEED one lens, it has built in bellows for closefocus.

For mamiya 645 pro (or 645af) I recommend the 120 Macro + something wider.

I went digital myself with Mamiya zd for digital and I am going to get the 645 af (1d,2d?)

for film. I am confident in my choice. For highquality outdoor I have the mamiya 7, very

good but not abl e to get closer than 1 meter, so it is probably not the college choice.

Sorry, did not read that you asked for 645. Narrows it down to Mamiya ,Contax , Pentax

and Bronica. I will forget Hasselblad because of the too high price. I think Mamiya

645af ,afd or afd2 is a choice for the future, bu the discontinued cameras is good and an

inexpencive start. You could always by something inexpencive now, keep it forever or sell

it later to get something else.

I do love the Mamiya 120macro for 645 pro, and I believe that the 120 macro for 645 af

has the same nice quality. Mark Schafer menioned the 140 macro for RZ, I think it is wise

to choose the lens first and let that lead to a camera that supports it. The 140 rz macro

and the 120 macro for 645 are close relatives that is producing images with almost the

same feeling. The 140 rz wins in quality due to the 6x7 size.

My best guess is Mamiya 645 pro. But i recommend listening to Mark Schafer.

I'm also a photography student. I've been using a Bronica ETR and ETR-S for a while and I

really like them. The bodies only cost about $50 each, the 75mm lens can be bought on

KEH.com for $20-$30 in bargain condition (which is actually pretty good condition). The

film backs and viewfinders are probably around $50 on ebay. or you could just find a

whole setup on ebay. As for portability, I feel that it's a very portable camera. Very light,

especially the ETR-S, which is plastic bodied. I bring it along and use it as a hand held

camera often. I've been very happy with this camera so far. It just works. Either way, you

wont be disappointed with your move to medium format. I've even been using a Yashica A

TLR that I got for $20, and it takes wonderful pictures.

I used the Pentax 645 camera for years. I still use the Pentax 6x7.

You can pound nails with this camera. The lenses tend to be more reasonable than Bronica and similiar to Mamiya, which I have also used. It is a very fluid system. They can often be purchased cheap on E-Bay ( I know I sold mine for a low price ) and there is usually a good selection of lenses to go with it.

Yes I do have an SLR but for the certain projects that i can i would prefer to medium format. I dont really see the point of using film in 35mm format as it doesnt offer much advantage from digital. It is in the larger format that the film medium really shines.

I did receive a lot of recommendation about the Mamiya cameras but some say that they are primarily a studio camera and that they are a bit too cumbersome to carry around. any comments about this?

I just have this sinking feeling that the thought of a heavy camera hanging from my neck might discourage me to go out and about taking pictures.

Pentax P645n is like handling a 35mm slr. Its very reliable, uses film inserts not backs can do 120/220, can take P67 lenses too via adapters. You can still get them serviced I don't know what the Bronica situation is. The real selling point of the Pentax is reliability, lots of different lenses, including some special leaf shutter lenses, zooms, Auto Focus. The gear is going cheap because Pentax dropped plans for digital. Since you are a student using film, this makes for a great deal on top notch lenses and camera you could never afford years ago.

Its small, all metal, light and the most ergonomic camera in the group.

Alfred don't listen to the lazy people who say the RZ/RBs are studio cameras. I use my ProII hand held 99% of the time. Recently I shot 13 rolls at the LA aids walk, 22 rolls at a peace march, about 10 rolls at an illegal immigration march, and another 10 rolls at a Thanksgiving dinner for local needy people. Needless to say these were for the most part all day afairs with lots of walking. In addition to the body, back and whatever lens I have on (usually the 110mm although for most of the above I used the 50mm ULD) in my bag I carry the 180mm, either the 50mm or 110mm whichever I'm not using at the moment, an extra back, cable relase, film, notebook, ect. So go for an 6x7 camera, it'll give you much film real estate and don't be afraid to use one of the big Mamiyas out in public.

You might want to consider Bronica GS1 with 6x7 back and 645 back. Get 110 macro and 65 or 50 lenses and prism finder. Lot of folks provide third party service. I originally bought this system years ago because it is light and provides flexible formats. I also agree with Mark about Maimya 6x7 outfit and bigger format. The cost is really low for both so look around. Have a great time in school.

For a student a general purpose camera thats easy to use is the most important. I don't think you will be making so many hugh prints that a 6x7 will make so much better a choice than a 645. I have a couple of Pentax 67 it big like the RB67 and heavy like the RB but is more easy to hold.

I still thing the Pentax 645 is the best and I like that the majority agree its a great buy.

Thanks for all the responses. After some deliberation I think i might have to go for the Pentax 645.

There is one available at the market right now, its a Pentax 645N II body, 75mm 2.8 lens and 120 film back at excellent condition/as new only used once. Does anyone know how much this sells for? Im in UK by the way.

Thanks.