Purpose of a RRS L plate

rf1

I have been hearing quite a bit about the RRS L plate but I am not quite sure

what it does exactly. What purpose does it serve? Apologies if this sounds like

a newbie question. I believe it has something to do with mounting on a tripod.

Will it work with any tripod? I use a Manfrotto w/ 3265 head.

Thanks.

Why don't you visit the website and see?

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/QR/04.html

You are currently using a pistol grip style head that is compatible with Bogen/Manfrotto plates. I think you can get and adaptor but I would recommend getting a better head first and then worrying about the L plate. I have had two 3265 heads and wish I would have started off with decent ball head instead. However, YMMV.

Finally, yes it does have something to do with mounting the camera. Just like you have plates that mount on the 3265. The L plates allow you to mount on a different (Arca-Swiss compatible) head and since its shaped like an L you can mount the camera in portrait or landscape mode.

With the 3265, you can get a Kirk quick release base made to replace the top portion of the 3265. I'd expect with a little effort, one could also attach some of the other makers' quick release assemblies via the screw in the top of the 3265, perhaps through an rc2 plate or a spacer block as well.

With the length and leverage issues in the 3265 head when going to a portrait orientation, an L plate would certainly be an improvement.

Bogen makes one as well but it's a universal sort of thing and not as well engineered or compact/elegant as the Kirk or RRS L plates - and it's still an rc2 so the fit/tolerance issues of that system aren't resolved.