Exit Signs

david_sparks2

I just have to say it...these things are just pests. They've ruined otherwise

great shots, are there a lot for processional shots and really are just plain

annoying. Obvious exit ways that feature exit signs are like those coffee lids

that say "Caution: Liquid is HOT".

Who here also has some hate for these things? To keep the discussion relevant,

what do you do to avoid them/do you bother with any clone stamping?

Yup love the patch tool!

I also try to avoid them whenever I can but sometimes they stick the cake in some horrible spot with the EXIT sign smack in the only place that you can work. When I do a layout I try to put something else over top layering a detail of the cake or what ever works. Makes for more interest.

Huge plugs midway up walls are another irritation to say nothing of the plugs on the floor at a lot of churches.

When we all shot film we just cropped or lived with it digital raises the bar for perfection.

Brooke

The patch tool easily removes exit signs, plug ins, thermostats, fire extinguishers, etc... from bare walls. If there is architectural details behind the exit sign that would confuse the patch tool I sometimes hit them with the red-eye tool. It doesn't get rid of them, but it gets rid of the red.

I curse them every wedding. If you have a 10 plus wedding Party in the church, leaving the church, in the reception that is a ton of time in PS to clone out, forget it. I edit the best ones of the B&G or wait for album selection shots. A B&W conversion helps loose some impact of the sign also. When I can I crop tight and try to cut it out. Other than the down the isle shots with dad all the other "standard" shots are pointless. They are never used. I go right with the Bride and Groom now and don't take everyone comming back up the isles. No one ever wants those shots. Missing those initial moments of the B&G after the ceremony are to big to trade off.

Avoid if and when you can. Otherwise, clone/patch/whatever or do nothing. Nervy of those church and reception hall designers to not take event photography into account :^) Anyway, I did hear of a couple, long ago, that used exit signs in images as proof their wedding photographer wasn't a good photographer. They claimed that if the photographer was any good, he wouldn't have shot the image with the exit sign in the frame. This was during the processional, where the photographer had to stand in one spot per the church rules and the entry door happened to have an exit sign over it. In the film days, too, so removing the signs was a lot more difficult. They also complained the photographer shot too many pictures of the cake cutting.