How does the D300's AF sensors indicate focus with MF lens

joseph_passante

I am currently using a Fuji S2 with a Katzeye screen to manual focus with a Nikkor 500 f4P. While the

focusing screen has made a big improvement in the number of focused shots I get its still difficult to

achieve perfect with the poor viewfinder in the S2.

I plan to upgrade to a D300 in February and would like to hear from D300 users who MF with long

telephoto lenses. How do the 51 focus points indicate focus when using a MF lens. Does each of the

individual sensors "light up" as the lens achieves focus in that area or does one have to preselect a single

focus point and focus the lens until that point lights up.

None of the local camera stores have a D300 in stock right now so I can't run down to the store and see

for myself.

Thanks

Joe

Not sure yet..., but perhaps the 51 focus points perhaps do not influence the range finder in the camera that drives the green focus confirmation LED, when auto focus is Off.

For manual focus lenses, I do not see much difference with my D200, though. The green confirmation lamp seems working OK, while sharpness is judged on the focusing screen - if there is time for that. If there is no time - I use AF or AF-S lenses. I just got the D300 recently, and yet learning it. I would like to hear more opinions as well.

According to the D3oo manual, the individual AF sensors does not light up when manual focus is achieved. Neither are there any beep (as optional when using servo AF). Instead the small focus indicator LED in the view finder lights up. This is outside the frame and not very convenient. It would have been great if it was as you suggested or if there could be a beep as this would make you much more responsive. Also a "focus trap" setting would have been nice.