D3 compatibility with Nikkor 28 PC-Shift

jos__fernando_v_zquez_p_re

I?m a long-time Nikon user but had lately been thinking of switching to Canon, as they were the only ones

offering a Full-frame Digital SLR and PC lens compatibility. Yet with the announcement of the D3 it seems

that there now is a Nikon option. Does anyone know if these two work well together? Also, is there any

option that includes using PC lenses on DX-APS format cameras [and thus not spending the $5,000 full-

frame club-entry fee]? Any PC lenses coming for this format?

I tested my pc 28mm und my pc 35mm nikon lenses with a new d3 body at my dealer in munich last week. At 11mm out of axis shift the 28mm turned out to be good at f 11, the 35mm pc is eccellent under the same conditions.

Schneider kreuznach does a pc 28mm f2.8 lens which the deliver with many different mounts, I want to test that with an d3, it might be better than the nikon. http://www.schneider-kreuznach.com/foto_e/an_su_pc/an_su_pc.htm

the problem is, they need up to 10 weeks to deliver the lens because of the strong demand. so I will probably not be able to do that test before february 2008.

regards henning

Jos頢esides the fact that the crop factor may defeat the whole purpose to use a 28mm wide angle shift lens I see no reason why a shift lens that fits a D3 Nikon body would not work on a DX body such as a D300. I suppose the life view feature of the D3 and D300 might be a well accepted additional benefit for a shift lens and even better for a shift tilt lens.

The PC lenses work on DX formats, they are quite handy when you don't need a wide angle. Apparently PC lenses work on full frame Canon's so I think that they would work on the D3 just as well. The 28 PC is a good but not great lens, but OTOH the lpmm on the D3 is not too high, so hard to say how it all works out. In any case, I would expect decent quality.

comparing the Schneider and the Nikkor would be interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 28 PC and D3 combination and it works fine. The 28 PC does exhibit some CA but

this is correctable in post processing. It also worked fine with my D2X before. I don't tend to

use the full 11mm extension but stick to a maximum of 8mm.

As regards the Schneider lens - it's a different league and is priced accordingly. You should

expect superior results from a lens that cost 3x as much.

The 28 PC-Nikkor works perfectly on the D3. There is no light fall-off and none of the bad (and asymmetric) CA seen on the DX format.

<p>

See <a href="http://foto.no/bruker/portfolio/38111.jpg">here</a> for an example of the 28 PC on the D3. In this case, extreme amounts of tilt are used and the front of the lens almost touches the subject. Yet no adverse impacts on the picture, no light fall off.

I've had equal success with my stock 28 PC-Nikkor on the D3. I kept one in the original condition and tilt/shift-modified the other. Easy decision since I got two of them for much less than the price of one :)

The D3 NEFs, even when not run through Capture NX, exhibit lower levels of CA than I experienced with these lenses last time I used them with my F5. This observation ties in with the 24/2.8 AIS on the D3: very low CA and little vignetting, equal or better performance than on film, and way better than the 24 did on my D2x.