Minolta SRT 101

I would like to know if anyone has any info on a Minolta SRT 101. It is and

older camera that I have had for some time, but currently having trouble with.

Any info on how I can find info and specs on the camera would be great. Might

even decide to try and get parts and fix myself, if parts or available. Maybe

even a schematic on the camera. HELP!!!

The SRT-101 was released in 1966, the camera had depth of field preview lever located on the bottom near the lens,that looks like a chrome tube sticking out. It had mirror lock up switch on the side of the lens mount.

Single lens reflex camera with through-the-lens CLC (Contrast Light Compensator) meter coupled to shutter and film speed.

Meter sensitivity EV 3 to EV 17 at ASA 100.

Film speeds supported ASA 6-6400

For the first time Minolta had released a camera with through the lens metering, but unlike its competitors it did this at full aperture. Where other manufacturers were struggling with systems where the photographer would have to stop the lens down to check the metering, the Minolta SR-T101 enabled metering to be conducted with the lens wide open.

To support this system an entire new range of lenses were introduced, the "MC" line (for "meter coupled"). These lenses incorporated a lever that communicated the aperture of the lens to the camera body, enabling the system to work.

The range of SRT cameras lasted from 1966-1981:

My first encounter with the SRT 101 was in 1970. I was an assistant to an architectural photographer for about a year between the time I graduated from college and the draft caught up with me. I went out to shoot some commercial buildings, and the nephew of the owner came along to show me around. I ad the 8x10 Deardorf and he had an SRT 101 loaded with black-and-white film. As a courtesy I processed and printed his film. It was the most consistently and accurately exposed role of 35mm film I had ever seen in my life.

For me, this is the landmark camera of the 20th century. This camera (in most situations) already knew what it took me five or six years as an amateur, and some time as a professional, to learn about exposure. Make a reasonable choice on aperture or shutter speed, focus, match the needle and shoot. Other developments, automatic exposure, focus, etc. were incremental, but this camera started a major change in professional photography, and not for the better, because it took a good part of the mystery out of getting pictures to "come out." (Digital photography, of course, also threw a pretty big nail in the coffin of professional photography as it used to be.)

Philosophy aside, good camera, well made although not quite up to the Nikon F and other "professional" cameras of the era. Good lenses. Operation is fairly straightforward. I believe it uses a mercury battery for the meter, so you will need a "Wein Cell" or other kludge to get the meter to work.

I would suggest not trying to fix it yourself. Essex Camera Repair (www.essexcamera.com) works on stuff of this vintage, and their turn around is good. Ken Ruth (Photography on Bald Mountain, ads in Shutterbug's service directory) fixes anything that is not "electronic," and this camera qualifies, and does it well but his turn-around is a bit slow.

My guru,Ivor Matanle, in his wonderful book on classic SLRs, describes how he transitioned from Leicas, Nikons, and Canons to Minoltas, specifically the SRT 101 as his eyesight began to decline (101 easier to focus). He found the minoltas to be very reliable and provide excellent value for the money. Most the photos of other cameras in his book were taken with his 101 with a 50mm f1.7 lens. The 101 also incorporated an exposure system known as "CLC", a kind of early matrix metering with just two regions. It was designed to cope with the typical situation where a bright sky can lead to underexposure of the foreground, and according to Ivor, worked very well. The Minoltas are well built cameras and have a broad array of lenses at a reasonable cost (at least a few months ago). The supply of classics seems to be drying up from reliable sources like B&H, KEH and others. I have sworn off of baywatch forever.

I have Minolta SRT 101 cameras in my collection too but I use a 201 more often now. The Konica Auto Reflex of 1965 had both full aperture metering and shutter priority automatic exposure but it did not have through the lens metering. Asahi waited a very long time to switch to full aperture metering. The Nikkormat of 1965 had full aperture metering but had a complicated way of indexing the maximum aperture for each different lens. Finally in 1977 Nikon introduced the AI system with the Nikkromat FT3. The AI coupling on the FT3 looks very similar to the system introduced in 1966 by Minolta with the 101.