Nikon Capture NX 1.3 problems for OS X Leopard

jeremy_dick

I'm new to photo.net, but I had to share my painful experience over the past several hours with fellow

Nikon owners. I purchased a D300 today and upgraded to Nikon Capture NX v1.3 on my Mac Book Pro

and experienced nothing but crashes every time I tried to open one of my RAW files. After installing the

software on my Windows XP machine, I am able to open the RAW files with no problems. Has anyone else

experienced this problem on OS X Leopard?

You will probably have to wait until Apple issues a fix.

Off-topic and this is not directed at you Jeremy, but I am amazed at the number of people

who rush to upgrade their computer operating systems and then wonder why some of their

softwares don't run properly. Maybe this is an Apple thing as most PC users are used to

having to wait for software fixes or new versions. BTW, I am a relatively new convert to the

Mac and I love it.

Adobe Lightroom has had a number of issues with OSX 10.5 as well, including inability to

switch between the various workflow modules and importing images from the camera.

They issued an upgrade (1.3) which addresses most of this just last week. But Apple was

issuing SDKs to software manufacturers months and months ago. It makes you wonder

why it took so long. I guess the policy at Nikon, like Adobe, is to sit on your hands and

see if a problem develops with a new OS release, instead of being more pro-active and

having something ready to go.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

"But Apple was issuing SDKs to software manufacturers months and months ago. It makes

you wonder why it took so long. I guess the policy at Nikon, like Adobe, is to sit on your

hands and see if a problem develops with a new OS release, instead of being more pro-

active and having something ready to go."

I used to work for a software company (business manager, not a software engineer) and it

is not unusual for last minute changes to cause problems. Nikon and Adobe may have had

SDKs months ago, but until Apple finalizes the OS 3rd party developers can't guess what

final tweaks may or may not affect their particular product.

Agreed, it shouldn't take months for updates to appear, but the 3rd party vendors do need

time to finalize and then test their product before releasing it. As I said above, it must be

an Apple thing that users expect they can install a new OS and have not have their

programs be affected. Perhaps it is because historically, the vendors that supported Apple

were few and there was closer communication between them and Apple resulting in

speedier updates to existing products. Just a guess.

BTW, I do not mean to be critical of anyone. I am just making an observation.

Also, Happy Thanksgiving!

I installed NX 1.3 last night as an upgrade. The install process was weird, with apparently

many steps that are supposed to run sequentially actually running in parallel. Dialog boxes

were popping up for later stages of the install when earlier stages were still running.

However, at the end of it all, NX runs fine and opens my D2x raw files with no problems.

I'm running OS X 10.5.1. For the record, I waited a few weeks to upgrade from Tiger, until

Lightroom and ImagePrint were updated for Leopard. I've been running Leopard for about

a week now with absolutely no problems. Note that I don't print at all from Lightroom or

CS3; I hear that printing is the source of much agony. ImagePrint 7 is Leopard compatible

and prints beautifully - as always.

Dennis... I'm able to install NX 1.3 on my MBP with OSX 10.5.1 with no issues. The problem

is when trying to open a RAW image from the Nikon D300.... no dice.

As an aside, since I am fortunate enough to have a Windows desktop I am able to load my

RAW images there on NX 1.3 from the D300 and I have to admit I'm pretty impressed with

the performance of this camera at high ISO levels.

Doug, it's not Apple that makes the fix, but Nikon. As far as I know, all developers were

given specs for Leopard, it's up to the developer to include those specs in their updated

software.

I use iPhoto with all my Nikon D70s RAW photos and find it to have very useful storage

functions, very fast, with lots of controls over the image. Email attachments, order prints

(good prices) and bound books, make calendars, slide shows with music, reversible editing,

etc. etc. etc.

i was very happy with iPhoto 6, but I now have iPhoto 7, it is faster and includes a noise

reduction slider and the straighten tool is improved. I really like the Retouch tool also. I

tried Nikon's ViewNX and did not like it at all, it was very slow at showing RAW images, and

the interface was somewhat cumbersome.

I encountered ap problem too in Tiger 10.4.11.

Nef-files fresh from the camera load properly, but nef's already changed with capure 1.2

coul not be loaded in 1.3 Capture hanged in this cases, so I went back to 1.2 an everything

was normal again

I wondered also why the size of Capture is now 0ver 100mb while it was round 38mb

• 4 months later...

Unbelievable, I have just upgraded from a macbook to macbook pro and was looking to

download NX so i can start to process my images from last night. I,m a bit worried if i have

no RAW processing software as that is all i shoot on. I,m getting CS3 today, does anyone

know if it has RAW software on it or any other solution?