Going to Sedona, any suggestons?

steve_larese1

Hey all,

I'm heading to Sedona, AZ for a few days and wanted to check with you all for

must-photograph suggestions. If you'd be so kind, what are the "postcard" photos

everyone gets, and what are some areas worth exploring that don't get much

pressure? Please post your favorites if you'd like :) I'll be taking a D2x and a

Mamiya 7II system.

Thanks so much,

Steve

I only live about twenty miles from Sedona and things are rather quiet this time of year. We are suppose to have a major rain and snow event beginning friday so pack some rain gear, The rain should give you an oppurtunity for some nice wet rock ,low ceiling shots that are always pleasant, Oak Creek Canyon should be worth a visit. I think a lot of the trees are still changing so it may be worth a short side trip. Have fun.

Pray for snow. I happened to be staying there one weekend when a surprise overnight

snowstorm hit. The next morning I've never seen anything like it - red rock with fresh powder

a foot deep. Take a pink jeep tour to get up into the rock formations. Wide and long lenses

are all useful.

Steve,

Honestly, when you get there you'll realize that there is no way to miss it. You'll want to

grab your camera and pull over the car around every turn. I was just there, so here are my

suggestions:

1. Drive Oak Creek Canyon from Flagstaff down to Sedona (if you have time) There are a

couple of nice stops along the way.

2. At the Y connection of 89 and 179, drive all along 179. There is a park pull-over scenic

view on the left. Lots of room to get a tripod out here.

3. Take 89 out to Red Rock State Park and you can photograph Cathedral Rock. You have

to walk a trail for 1/4 mile or so from where you park.

4. Even though the Chapel of the Holy Cross is man-made, it's amazing, and it has a great

view from the entrance at the top.

The airport at Sedona is on a mesa and there are wonderfully panoramic views of many of the rock formations from there, and a good angle on sunsets.

See the lovely new Waco biplanes that burble overhead? Crimson with the 1-800 number on the lower wing... let those folks fly you around the area for $150 or so. Photography is not particularly easy from the passenger seat (you sit up front; the pilot sits behind you) because there are struts and wires galore. But you can scout out places all around Sedona in an hour, while enjoying the burble of that radial engine and the aerial perspective is hypnotic.

We stayed at the motel up next to the airport. Sky Ranch, I believe. It's at the edge of the mesa, maybe 300 or 400 feet above the southern portion of the town and directly facing some of the most dramatic red rock formations. The view from the deck on our room was nothing short of astounding. I'm at the wrong PC just now so cannot post a pic of the view. Maybe later I'll create a 500-pixel-wide version and post it here... Even if you do not stay at Sky Ranch you can get pretty much the same view at a public parking lot across the street at the top of the mesa.

We did not take a Pink Jeep tour but everyone recommends the idea. I'd happily hop into a pink jeep for a tour if I go back to Sedona someday.

There are lots of places to hike on, around and through the red rocks. The requisite parking permits are maybe $5 per day.

Have fun. It's a fabulously photogenic place.

I went to Sedona last May. Don't miss the pink jeep tour. There are lots of hiking trails that will get you close to the red rocks with views that don't include anything man made. I think we hiked the cathedral trail, which was any easy hike with terrific views. If you are a wildlife shooter you may see desert quail, jackrabbits, and more.

I put a couple of shots here: http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=788313