Problem with D80

low light

When I switch on my D80 it says Err but when i trip the shutter it disappears

for a while. If I push the shutter button halfway r15 appears on the display,

my camera is a year old and is not used to much ( maybe 1000 actuations ) has

anyone had a similar problem? Thanks.

Anthony, I have the D80, but have never had that problem. I'd double check all of your electronic contacts, i.e., contacts on the SD card, and battery contacts. Also, if you're using a lens with f stops, be sure it's on the highest number f stop. r15 means you have approximately 15 exposures left, that's what it's supposed to do.

Thanks Diane, I've tried cleaning the contacts, I've changed the memory card, battery and used different lenses ( all nikon ) but to no avail! The only memory cards I use are Sandisk Extreme which are pretty reliable. Will probably go to my local retailer and see if they can send it back for repair.

Anthony,

Mount the lens on the camera body, set it to aperture priority mode and set the aperture to its highest (f22 or whatever it may be). Then fire off a bunch of shots. The lens is known for causing an Err message if the aperture assembly is bad. If you have multiple lenses test it it this way with all and figure out which one causes it to fail. If it fails with more than one lens then test the camera without a lens and see if it fails. If it fails without a lens then the camera has a bad shutter. R15, as it has been indicated is the number of shots left in the buffer, it is not a malfunction.

good luck

Mark