<br>

Have you read the 'Read Me' file. The WB adjustments have been moved.<br>

<br>

Here's an excerpt:<br>

<br>

<b>Content Description / Modifications:</b><br>

Support for RAW pictures taken with the D3 and D300 has been added.<br>

Support for Picture Control has been added.<br>

A Picture Control has been added to Camera Adjustments in the Base Adjustments. The Color Mode, Tone Compensation, Saturation, and Sharpening items in Camera Adjustments, as well as the Hue Adjustment in RAW Adjustments, have been moved to the new Picture Control item.<br>

An Active D-Lighting item has been added to RAW Adjustments in the Base Adjustments. This feature is only available with RAW images captured with Active D-Lighting enabled.<br>

<b>*

The White Balance item has been moved to RAW Adjustments in the Base Adjustments, and Sodium Vapor Lamps and High Temperature Mercury Vapor (7200K) settings have been added.</b><br>

RAW images can now be saved with lossless compression.Images captured in lossless-compressed RAW format can now be saved in lossless-compressed RAW format, regardless of camera model.(Limited to use with images captured with Nikon digital-SLR cameras.)<br>

The vignette control function, which was previously for use only with RAW images, can now be used with JPEG- and TIFF- format images. (Limited to use with images captured with Nikon digital-SLR cameras.)<br>

The function for modifying images captured with a fisheye lens, available in Lens Adjustments in the Base Adjustments, is now compatible with the AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D.<br>

Features for editing RAW images, previously available in the Camera Settings palette, have been eliminated.<br>

Joseph,<p>Concerning Capture NX, when you install the new version, the older version gets overwritten.<p>I would suggest that people take up Shun's suggestion and try the Nikon View NX. A great browser and organizer! Fast, and finally there's a way to view NEF files without having to open up Capture NX (also views JPEG and TIF). It will allow you to convert a file from one format to another, has great histogram features, and allow you to even strip out a color profile from a file. A very cool piece of FREE software indeed.

I use Nikon View NX. I like some of its features not found in the older Nikon View. However, I still use Nikon View for one or two things I find easier to do in tt than in View NX.

If you are a user of View, when you download View NX, you still keep the older View. If you do not want View, you have to delete it.

Joe Smith

While we're on the subject of Capture NX, do any of you know what its capabilities are in perspective correction?

I'm currently weiging it up against Photoshop Elements (have a D80 body so biased towards the Nikon software).

I've worked with Nikon Capture NX 1.2 (updated to 1.3 since a few days) and it never crashed (under Windows XP). Everything works perfectly well, and I can tell Capture NX is the best soft for NEF files, much more powerful than Lightroom or ACR. But one has to learn how to use it of course...

Vista users may have some problems with Capture (and many other soft too...). If this is the case for you, delete Vista and go back to XP!

Tried the ver. 1.3. Can't say I like the way they have moved camera setting (adjustable sharpening, ect. )from the left side menu to the right. Quite a change. I believe I'll keep the previous version on my home machine until I have more time to work with the new update and see if I can get comfortable with it.

Guys & gals...

I now have mine working relatively well. There's a few fixes to try if you run in to trouble. I posted my issues both here, FredMiranda.com, & at DPReview. At DPR I got help.

If you're running Windows - try these fixes from this post on DPR - - made a huge change for me.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=25739825

Hope this will help others than just me.

Lil

I wanted to install the demo version on my laptop, having downloaded it else where and put it there with a USB stick. However, it would not want to start without internet connection. So my basic question remains (I will be able to test it only in a week or so):

How does it compare to DxO? Has anybody tried both?

Does Capture actually cover the same fature range?

I really liked Capture NX. Then I installed the new upgrade and discovered you can no longer make base adjustments from the left menu--you have to drill down a couple of layers in the right menu. Tried to be open minded but it takes me at least twice as long to make base adjustments. Maybe it will be better with the D300 (I'm shooting with a D100 right now) but until them I'm uninstalling NX and reinstalling w/o the new upgrade. I think a lot of changes programmers make are done primarily because they can.

IMHO, NX is very inconvenient program.

Twice inconvenient at processing a plenty of files. Triple - if it is necessary to do the job quickly.

I do not think developers consulted to professional photographers. To a huge regret, Nikon is absolutely deaf if it doesn't hear our groan. Please, leave NX for amateurs. They will probably have enough time and patience for playing with ugly interface. Nikon, please, add a D3 NEF support in Capture 4.4!

--