C&C and Equipment Questions... Please :)

srrf

Hi All,

I've been off the board for a bit, but am hoping that a few of you wouldn't mind

giving me some constructive criticism on my first engagement session. These are

two friends of mine who are getting married in 2 weeks. It was a COLD day by the

Hudson River. The bride is taller than the groom, which hasn't been TOO much of

an issue, but I know them both very well, and know that they want him to look at

least her height in most of the pictures. She has a tendency to slouch around

him so that she'll be his height, but I tried to get them at angles where she

didn't have to worry about that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srrf/sets/72157603313355626/

My equipment was pretty meager that day... my rental place was out of lenses,

and since this was a free shoot, I couldn't afford to rent a body. I've got my

Xti and the kit lens (18-55), a 430ex flash, and a 75-300mm lens. All canon,

none L or IS lenses :(

If you have suggestions, commentary, or any ideas for me, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks in advance,

Shelli

Technically, the main area to address is the Flash Fill technique you are using.

Why the astounding difference between #77 and #98, there is about three stops difference in tonal /contrast range of the two images?

#77 (from a technical pass) should have remained on the cutting room floor.

Artistically, you might consider how colour works with the difference of the skin tones.

The image against the rich blue of the barn / building have a great colour POP and accentuate both subjects.

Yet, by comparison, note how the female subject`s eyes are lost in the autumnal tones of the brown overcoat and more so, in the tight shoots, where the whole image tends to become a non definitive colour pastel, with his darker skin, the only dominating feature.

Certainly, there is great connection between the photographer and the subjects, and between the subjects themselves.

But there was opportunity to get more bang images, especially with such a communicative couple, simply by planning the wardrobe and the setting to compliment and contrast the two skin tones and the eyes of the subjects, especially the delicate colour of the female`s eyes.

I am not fond of the skewed image without just reason.

Having stated that bias, and even in consideration of it, there are too many skewed images and the overuse detracts form the artistic impact, especially in the Long and Full Length shots.

The couple seemed a joy to work and that comes through: I suggest Flash Technique and a little more planning the compositions in regard to the aforementioned will result in a really good Wedding Shoot.

WW

This is all great critique! Thanks William. I am definitely in the learning stages, and look forward to using all that you mentioned.

Unfortunately, I had no input on the wardrobe, since it was cold, and they wanted the shoot where they wanted it. Her overcoat was her only option.

I've also realized that I do the "tilt" too often, and am trying to focus on cutting back. Working on posing, as well as composing my shots a bit more might help.

Thanks again.

>>> Unfortunately, I had no input on the wardrobe, since it was cold, and they wanted the shoot where they wanted it. Her overcoat was her only option. <<<

Yes, I understand, I hear similar comments often.

But do you really want to raise the bar?

The following is not a criticism, but rather a practical hint of how we might have addressed this particular issue: file it away for next time.

But more importantly it is about the THINKING that wrote your sentence I quoted.

Did you note the soft hazel light brown colour of her eyes in your diary at the original meeting with the clients?

And therefore suggest that a red scarf or a blue top or an emerald green hat would add a colour contrast and assist to bring out the warmth of the shoot, by accentuating the soft passion of her eyes and that contrast would be in harmony with the autumnal brown of the woods, the river and the leaves?

Eyes are very important.

And it is important to plan, especially for the engagement shoot, to get cracker results: the results let the client know that the `professional suggestions` are viable and get results otherwise not attainable.

It also gets the clients use to accepting `instructions` as `suggestions` on the Wedding Day when there is prone to be more turmoil and haste, they do, with out realizing they are actually `instructions`.

This is just one of many methods of planting the seed in the client`s head.

More importantly it is about the thinking of a creative and professional photographer.

Sure you did not have any input with the wardrobe or the setting, that`s OK, no problem, you said `I am definitely in the learning stages`.

But, look at the same issue this way and consider these answers instead:

`I didn`t think it important to plan to that minute detail, I`ll think about it, I am not sure though but I will think about it. `

or

`Hey yeah great I like that, I really like getting involved: is there any danger of going over the top? Should I just TELL them what to wear?

or

`Nope: no way William, that is far to intrusive for my style, I like to be honest in my reportage of the clients, they chose the place and the clothes and it is my job to work with it, thanks for your opinion, but I disagree.`

Any of these are the of answers of a professional who is engaged and involved and whose head is in the zone or close to getting there:

IMO, no more `unfortunately` and no more `meagre equipment` comments, you asked in your original post for:

`or any ideas for me, I'd love to hear them! `

Well the preceding is all about where a Professional`s head space is at and just a little part of how to get there.

Regards,

WW

>>> Unfortunately, I had no input on the wardrobe, since it was cold, and they wanted the shoot where they wanted it. Her overcoat was her only option. <<<

Yes, I understand, I hear similar comments often.

But do you really want to raise the bar?

The following is not a criticism, but rather a practical hint of how we might have addressed this particular issue: file it away for next time.

But more importantly it is about the THINKING that wrote your sentence I quoted.

Did you note the soft hazel light brown colour of her eyes in your diary at the original meeting with the clients?

And therefore suggest that a red scarf or a blue top or an emerald green hat would add a colour contrast and assist to bring out the warmth of the shoot, by accentuating the soft passion of her eyes and that contrast would be in harmony with the autumnal brown of the woods, the river and the leaves?

Eyes are very important.

And it is important to plan, especially for the engagement shoot, to get cracker results: the results let the client know that the `professional suggestions` are viable and get results otherwise not attainable.

It also gets the clients use to accepting `instructions` as `suggestions` on the Wedding Day when there is prone to be more turmoil and haste, they do, with out realizing they are actually `instructions`.

This is just one of many methods of planting the seed in the client`s head.

More importantly it is about the thinking of a creative and professional photographer.

Sure you did not have any input with the wardrobe or the setting, that`s OK, no problem, you said `I am definitely in the learning stages`.

But, look at the same issue this way and consider these answers instead:

`I didn`t think it important to plan to that minute detail, I`ll think about it, I am not sure though but I will think about it. `

or

`Hey yeah great I like that, I really like getting involved: is there any danger of going over the top? Should I just TELL them what to wear?

or

`Nope: no way William, that is far to intrusive for my style, I like to be honest in my reportage of the clients, they chose the place and the clothes and it is my job to work with it, thanks for your opinion, but I disagree.`

Any of these are the of answers of a professional who is engaged and involved and whose head is in the zone or close to getting there:

IMO, no more `unfortunately` and no more `meagre equipment` comments, you asked in your original post for:

`or any ideas for me, I'd love to hear them! `

Well the preceding is all about where a Professional`s head space is at and just a little part of how to get there.

Regards,

WW

Wow. William- I do understand all of your suggestions, and agree with most of them. Thanks for the input. I'd just like to point out that you seem to think that I'm dismissing the advice based on one sentence. Be careful- often times, what's written cannot clearly convey every single emotion and feeling behind it. I absolutely agree with you that it will be helpful to talk to the couple next time about the clothes choice, the location choice, etc.

Conrad- Thanks for the advice on the lens- you're right, I don't have a lot of money, so I'm trying to work with what I've got. I've considered the 50mm 1.8, and think I'll go for it. My only concern is that on a 1.6 crop body, it will keep me at too much of a distance. But I'd like to try it. For portraits, I think it makes A LOT of sense! Thanks!

>>> I'd just like to point out that you seem to think that I'm dismissing the advice based on one sentence. <<< (SF)

1.Wow Shelli, what a great answer! But: No, Absolutely not, incorrect 100%: Hence my carefully crafted opening sentences (which did not do their job), which leads onto . . .

>>> Be careful- often times, what's written cannot clearly convey every single emotion and feeling behind it. <<< (SF)

2. Absolutely, Yes Correct 100%: and a point which I, too, have made in this forum on many occasions.

3. It takes several posts and reading of them, to get to understand the language used and meaning of individual members, I think.

Especially those who get passionate from time to time,. (like me). Reading Bio pages is useful too.

It is a slow process sometimes, when there is no face to look at and no tone in the voice to listen to and no body language: and moreover we all have own meaning and emphases (or lack of it) on individual words.

But, taking the time to communicate and share ideas via the written words has its rewards: and reading this last post of yours, and answering it, is certainly mine.

Cheers and good luck.

William

Just a side note - on a couple of images that William pointed out (77&98) - it looks like low contrast due to stray light hitting the front of the lens. Lens hoods would help in this situation, but depending on the angle of the sun coming into the lens, it's not always effective. Usually, this type of sun-flare should be noticeable in the viewfinder, in which case you need to either change the angle at which you're shooting or use something (a hand, hat) to shade the front of the lens.

Jim

I shoot a lot of models and a few movie stars here in the LA area. Anyway, some of the models are hoping to break into the industry and need a wardrobe collection for the photo shoot. Almost all models cannot afford to buy $2000 worth of designer cloths so what do they do? They go to high class stores and buy a few sets, perhaps keep one or two and after the photo shoot they return them. Tags are not removed, just hidden so the cloths can be returned the next day. I am not agreeing to this practice, but it is commonly done.

With this information you may wish to suggest to the couple if they don't match, have no money, to do something like this.

As far as your photos go William's suggestions are pretty complete. You have a few really wonderful images. I'm not a huge fan of cutting off heads or cropping too tight, but I do like your style. You have a good eye, also a nice artistic style.

Jon, Jim, and Bob,

Thanks for the advice and critique. I'm hoping to take a few lighting and portrait-work classes sometime soon. I'd also love to invest in some lens hoods.

You've all been so helpful- Thank you!

Shelli