Just bought my first SLR (Nikon D40) after many years of point n' shoot and am

starting to invest myself (and some money) in photography. As an early x-mas

present I just received a tripod, the Velbon UltraMaxi SF

(http://www.velbon-tripod.com/ultra_maxi.htm), which pulls in at about 1.6

pounds, 13 inches folded up, with a max height of 48 inches. It comes with a

stock ball and socket head, the PH-343.

So, I have one week before I leave the country and I have to decide if this is

the correct tripod for me. I'm looking for advice... I shoot a lot of

landscapes, some sports, some photo-journalist style portraits and am interested

in expanding my borders a little. I frequently backpack and will be (probably)

taking my camera with me, though I'm not sure if a tripod will be worth the

weight to me.

I have been considering returning this and buying two things... a super simple,

tiny plastic 2oz tripod to take on backpacking trips and a heavier (3 lb),

taller (~65 inch) tripod for at-home use / backpacking trips dedicated

exclusively to photography.

I like the small size and weight of my current gift, but will the relatively

short max height on my current tripod feel very limiting? ...or should I forgo

the tripod, cash it in and purchase something else (I currently only have the

kit 18-55mm, f/3.5-5.6, lens)

Sam, if you are really looking to expand your photography, I think you will be disappointed with this tripod. It is too thin and does not offer nearly enough support for a camera and lenses.

But if you are like most, you start out with something like this, become disappointed, and keep moving up. That was me when I began. Thom Hogan wrote a great article about it....

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Over time, you will have bigger heavier lenses and maybe a heavier body (camera, that is). You will need a lot more support than what you will get from this tripod. If you want to cut a corner, consider getting a monopod.

Thanks for the response... so a Q for the peanut gallery:

If I'm going to go backpacking is my only choice a heavy (6-8lbs?) tripod? That makes my ultralight backpacking sole cringe as my total weight is usually in the 20lb range.

By Bruce's suggestion I'd need to put a lot more money into a tripod, something I'm not ready to do yet... so do I forgo it in favor of something else? Things that are on my eventual wish list:

flash

fast prime lens (thinking 50mm f/1.8)

VR telephoto zoom (like the Nikkor 55-200 VR)

a macro lens (for my gf, who loves the tiny stuff)

wide-angle lens (for big 'ol landscapes)

I've got about $150 to play with, plus some flexibility from my own cash. The tripod is from a small camera shop that's a little on the pricey side, though not horrid.

Sam, I still have things on my wish list and I've been at this for 30 yrs. :-)

Just for fun, add up the cost for your wish list. It goes into the thousands, and there are things you will want that aren't even on the list yet. My point, this can be (no, it is) a very expensive hobby for many people.

As for the tripod, it is an invaluable tool for so much photography. IMO, a good tripod can save many shots that otherwise are lost to camera shake. I always use one whenever possible for landscapes, night shots, even sports.

But if you want one, wait until you can get a good one. Mine is a lightweight carbon fiber, maybe 3 lbs. Add another lb for the head and it really is pretty easy to carry around. Usually I carry it in my backpack when I am hiking so it's there when I need it.

You certainly have enough money for the 50mm f/1.8. FWIW, I have one but don't use it that often. It's a great lens but most of my photography doesn't lend well to a 50mm digital range. YMMV, of course.

"I have been considering returning this and buying... a super simple, tiny plastic 2oz tripod to take on backpacking trips"

Consider this Velbon your tiny simple tripod and get a bigger and better one for normal use. Nothing lighter and more plasticky than the Velbon is total junk.

So... if I was going to get a tripod, what's your suggestion? Thom's "cheap" option is $600, do I wait and spring for that?

Bad news is I'm guessing I'll have to exchange this, not get a refund, so I may be limited to this store's inventory. The fast prime lens came to mind b/c it's in my range & gets a lot of talking up on this site. Also it's been the holidays around here so I've had lots of indoors shots.

Ilkka- the thing I'm talking about isn't really a tripod so much as it's just somewhere to mount my camera. It's $15, has three 4 inch plastic legs and a tiny ball head. Primarily it would be used for self portraits or to slightly extend my shutter speed options, a tiny step past hand-held but super light (2oz) and cheap. Maybe not worth it, the guy at the shop suggested it, said he uses it for his P&S while hiking.

"said he uses it for his P&S while hiking"

Sam, those gizmos work fine for a tiny camera that weighs only a few ounces. Your camera body and lens weighs pounds, not ounces, and when you begin using lenses that weight 2-3 lbs or more, they just don't hold up.

Given that you are looking at an exchange and based on what you've said, think about either the 50mm lens or a flash, whichever you feel you would use most. Another possibility is a monopod.

I have the Velbon 343 and use it as my lightest weight travel tripod, at times when I really don't want to carry anything heavier, and when I am not using a long lens or heavy medium format camera. It is not a bad tripod, but it is a very special lightweight model. I would not want it as my only tripod, but it might be just what you need now on your overseas trip. My other tripods are Gitzos. There are many models in different sizes and materials. Carbon fibre is light but expensive. It is better to buy an aluminium tripod unless you really want the lightest weight and are willing to pay for it. A 2-series aluminium Gitzo is much less than $600 and will last a lifetime. Manfrotto/Bogen has several good tripods in their lineup as well. There is also a Chinese made copy of Gitzo, sold under Benro and Induro name at about 1/2 to 1/3 the price. I would not trust that as my only tripod either. I think you need to pay $200-300 for a good tripod and maybe another $100-300 for a head as well. A good tabletop tripod is sometimes useful, but the main thing would be that it really is good.As mentioned before, the cheap, small, plastic ones are only useful with very small point and shoot digital cameras.