D3 - what is D-lighting?

dave_gionet2

The most important feature in this new camera that I am most interested in is

the improvement in the dynamic range of exposure. I shoot interiors and would

like to work more with the existing lighting and less with added fill light.

On page 363 of the D-3 manuel, it talks about D-lighting, is that just post

capture adjustment, similiar to what you can do in photoshop or does it change

to tonal range ability at capture. Is the exposure range of a camera measured

and available anywhere?

It does not 'really' increase dynamic range, but can give lift shadow details. You can get exactly the same results in CS2. If I use it at all, I use it in post-production. I tend to treat the in-camera image a bit like a film negative & do any fiddling on the computer. For your purposes, I would also be minded to shoot on a tripod, use the bracketing feature (say 2 stops either side) and try producing an HDR (high dynamic range) image in CS2 if you have it.

D Lighting in Capture NX allows you to open up the shadows and see what is there. There are two options to select. The first is Faster. The one offering Better Quality is the one I use in that I can control the amount of opening up I want using a slider. I almost never accept the 50% amount.

While the Nikon Tech Tip below says it is used for blown highlights, I think that is a very big overstatement. I find it a very useful and fast tool to adjust details in shadowy areas of properly exposed images. I can see why D 3 owners might want to do this in camera. For me, I prefer doing it during post processing.

http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/software/capturenx/nxsp/techti

ps.htm#tip9

There are other tutorials for Capture NX at www.Nikonusa.com that might provide more info.

Joe Smith