a camera store close to LA but outside CA?

bruno_gaurish

Is anyone can suggest me a big photo store not too far from LA but outside of CA

(to avoid the tax). I will be staying in LA for 24h on my way to Europe (from

the pacific islands) and want to buy a bunch of stuff (canon 5D, 24-105L,

70-200L?) I?m thinking about renting a car to go to? Phoenix? Las Vegas? Thanks

Sorry, but that will not work since both Nevada and Arizona both have sales tax. Just a bit lower then California. If you have an address in Los Angeles you may be able to order from an outfit like BH in New York and have it send to your LA address. The closest state without sales tax is Oregon, about 800 miles and I do not know of any camera shops there to recomend.

casey's or sahara camera in Las Vegas, but I'd call before making the drive.

Casey's - (702) 736-0890

Sahara Camera - (702) 457-3333

I don't know what sales tax is in California or Arizona, but Las Vegas is 7.75%. I think both Phoenix and LA are a little over 8%, so with gas, time, and car rental, you're probably not saving any money (but Las Vegas can be fun :)

LA to the California state line is fair distance (430km to Vegas and that's close to the minimum). Even if you are willing to make the drive both Nevada and Arizona will also charge a sales tax that isn't significantly less than the California rate. The difference will be in the 1% to 2% range at best.

The only practical way to avoid CA sales tax would be to make a purchase from a company that has no presence in CA and have them ship it to LA. You may be able to work this in advance if you are staying overnight in a hotel or if you know someone in the area.

Perhaps you can call up Samys and place a warehouse order from where you are now to avoid the tax, but explain your situation and ask to pick up as you pass through. Probably no, but perhaps worth a shot. They probably only ship from the warehouse with merchandise that is set aside for internet sales only. Everything else (in the stores) has a higher overhead price attached to it.

Hint: they WILL match B and H internet pricing in store.

Keith

Shop for a cheap ticket on Alaska or Southwest Airlines to Portland, go to Pro Photo Supply (www.prophotosupply.com), no sales tax in Oregon, get your gear, go back to L.A. and you will be good to go, Pro Photo pricing on competitive items is always the same or close to the big internet sites.....good luck and safe travels!

With current gasoline prices any trip out of LA will add more cost than the expected savings.

I would recommend Canoga Camera.

http://www.canogacamera.com/

They usually have good selection, comparable to B&H and Adorama prices, and excellent reputation.

Perhaps calling them before going is a good idea, 1-800-201-4201 for specific equipment availability and prices questions.

Go to Samy's Camera and ask if they can spare you the tax if they ship your gear back to where you live. Otherwise, order on Amazon or from B&H and see if they will ship it to your California hotel (you have a shot if you have an Amazon account). Otherwise you may be out of luck and your tax money will just end up buying books for schoolkids, keeping violent criminals incarcerated, and paving roads. So if you pay the tax, thanks!

Let's do a quick math - say you buy the stuff from the store and your total purchase for the 5D + 24-105 + 70-200 is $4500. With the 8% sales tax, your tax would be $360 (this is the amount you would save if you purchased them in Oregon). The rental car plus its ridiculous fees and gas would probably cost you $80-100. Flying on Southwest to Portland, OR and taking the taxi to the store might cost you more than $200. And remember you only have 24 hours (or less) to do all this. Driving to Vegas and back is doable but risky and exhausting, especially after your long flight to LAX.

If you have a friend in LA, buy online and ship it to your friend's address in LA. This way you can use your 24 hours to visit your friend and have a good time while waiting for your flight to Europe.

The local pro store in Palo Alto, CA (Keeble & Schucat) is having a no-sales-tax holiday sale from now until christmas. It's too far to drive probably, and their prices are generally through the roof. But you might call around to the LA stores, one might be doing something similar.