I am looking for information/tutorials on how to blend 2 photos that were taken

with of the same subject, just with different settings. I've seen pictures

where people have done that using Photoshop but I was looking for more

information on how to do that. I'm using a Nikon D70 and have PhotoShop CS3

and would like to play around with how different exposures vary the final

photo. If there's some resource that also discusses this from the camera

perspective as well, like some do's and don't when taking the pictures, that's

awesome as well.

If anyone has any starting points, that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance.

S

The purpose of multiple exposures is when you have a high contrast shot, i.e., you can exposure for either the bright sky or the shady area but not both. I usually use three exposures and bracket. Sometimes I adjust the aperture, sometimes the shutter speed. Everything else remains the same.

Obviously a tripod is very helpful but wind is not your friend. To work well, it is important that each exposure be identical.

Scott - are you looking for something like HDR? I'm not sure it this is the technique you're looking for. I swear I'm so exhausted I don't know which leg to stand on etc....

Anyhow, if you are, the one I consider a master is Roman Johnston - here's is his primer as how to do HDR.

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/information/php/2007_Articles/rjohnston/roman2.php

Check it out. It might help you

Lil

Lil Judd,

Thanks! I already do something similar to that but there was some good tips in that link I

don't do that I'm going to try!

Scott, if you shoot raw (and even if you shoot jpeg) you might find that you can do more

with this kind of technique than you ever thought possible! I've saved some vacation

images with it on several occasions, and now I RARELY process a final image without

doing something like this.

I have obtained good results using the Optipix software sold by Reindeer Graphics. http://www.reindeergraphics.com/

It has the ability to blend two exposures or to blend three, five, seven, or more, as well as other useful tools. Optipix software is featured extensively in George DeWolfe's book, "Digital Photography Fine Print Workshop."

Kent