Velbon 630A, Gitzo GT-2530, GT-3530S or LSV, Induro C213

ken_b2

Yikes! I've been researching CF tripods for over a week, and while I've

narrowed down the field considerably, there are still plenty of choices and

questions remaining.

I've got a Canon 40D with a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. But I will be buying a tele zoom

one of these days/months/years; either a 70-200 or 70-300 (with IS).

My main question is, if I MIGHT buy a 70-300 (which is a 480mm 35mm equiv. FOV

on a 1.6x crop body), does that mean I'd be wasting my money on anything less

than a series 3 Gitzo (3530S or 3530LSV)? Or with the IS, would I be able to

get away with a series 2 Gitzo (2530) or one of the other choices I listed in

the subject line? I certainly prefer to go as light as I can, since I intend to

take it along with me during long day hikes.

I know that there are plenty more choices out there. But I've decided I want to

go with something really easy to set up. I'm used to the clamp (flip-lock) type

of leg locks. I've tried the rotating ones, and while I can get the hang of

them, they still drive me crazy sometimes. Except I read that Gizto's new ALR

(anti-leg-rotation) system (copied by Induro in the C213, I believe) makes the

rotating locks as easy to use as the flip-locks (if not easier). So that's why

I've narrowed my choices to Gitzo and Induro (ALR), and Velbon's 630A

(flip-locks). (I know Benro is the same as Induro and cheaper, but that one's a

no go due to the measly 1-year warranty.)

Advice, comments, questions, and answers greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ken

The new Gitzo "G-lock" collars open and close with 1/4 turn and lock tightly with very little turning force. Unlike snap locks, they are quiet, completely self-adjusting and don't snag on things.

I second the recommendation of a series 3 "Systematic" tripod. It is much stiffer than the others mentioned and offers complete flexibility for the center section - column, leveling platform or flat plate. The GT-3540LS is only 21 inches long when collapsed, and fits in a suitcase without disassembly.

I am so lazy, I definitely want a tripod with 3 leg sections only.

I am leaning towards Gitzo, just trying to accept their premium price. But I would really prefer the 2 series if it would work with a 300mm lens. Induro seemed like a good compromise (but their C313 is too heavy for me to lug around on long hikes).

Someone elsewhere said that cropped field of view isn't relevant to what Gitzo was talking about. There's no doubt the 3530 (S or LSV) would be more sturdy, but it weighs about a pound more than the 2530, and is either shorter when extended (3530S) or longer when folded (3530LSV).

So I guess what I'm saying is, I'd really prefer the 2530 *if* it would be acceptable under most conditions with a 300mm zoom.

A series 2 Gitzo is marginal for a 300mm lens (which acts like a 450mm lens on a DSLR). A light breeze is enough to make it quiver. I've used my series 3 tripods in some serious wind (Chicago lake front, y'know). You also need a stiff mount, such as provided by a Arca-Swiss style QR system.

I'm 5'10", and generally extend only two sections (of 3) in my GT3540 or G-1348 tripods. That brings it nearly to eye level. In a 3-section G-1345 I can only partly extend the 2nd section and still reach the viewfinder. That requires "equalization", which takes longer than an extra section if needed. The 6x series has non-rotating legs. You can loosen and tighten all collars at once if that helps speed things up. I open one at a time but tighten all at once when collapsing the tripod.

Just something for consideration.

Ken wrote: "Induro seemed like a good compromise (but their C313 is too heavy for me to lug around on long hikes)"

As the C313 user, I can certainly see your point. I do lug it around on day hikes and it is pretty large. So large, in fact, that I use a smaller tripod

for backpacking. But that perhaps points up that tripod choices tend to involve compromises. While I love the very large C313 for most work -

enough that I'll carry it in a pack for dayhiking - as much as I'd like to have it available for backpacking, its size is such that I'm willing to accept

the compromise in size and stability of using a smaller tripod for backpacking.

Dan

I'll be using a Markins M10 with an RRS clamp QR, so I think that part won't be any problem. It's the legs.

I fooled around with a Gitzo 3530 today. It was heavy, and I found the legs more difficult to extend and contract than on the Velbon or Induro (I didn't catch the Induro model #, but I think it may have been even bigger than the C313 -- it seemed huge). Somewhere I read that that was actually a good thing (meaning less space between the legs for dirt & stuff to get in). But usability wise, it sure was nicer to be able to just grab and pull gently rather than tug as hard as I can (ok, not really, but).

I know I *should* probably get a Series 3. But I bet I end up getting a Series 2, if not the Velbon (which I again played with today and still found easier/quicker to use than those rotating collars).

Compromises and decisions. Tough stuff!

Thanks, guys,

Ken