Canon 17-55 2.8 vs. 24-70 2.8 on 40D

todd_torfin

'Hating to state the obvious but the 17-55 will give you a wider view and the 24-70 will give

you a longer view. You gave no indication of what you like to photograph. If you like to

photograph people in close and personal then you'd be happier with the 17-55. If you like to

shoot individual portraits then the 24-70 might be more up your alley. It's really up to you

and your photography.

To follow up on John's comments, both are well "suited" to the 40D. It isn't a question of

which is the "better" lens, but a question (mostly) of what focal lengths you want to cover.

That should actually be your most important consideration. If the 17-55 range is what you

need, it doesn't matter how good the 24-70 is - it would be the wrong lens... and vice

versa.

I could make a generalization about what what "most" users might prefer but I don't know

if you are among "most users."

Take care,

Dan

Also if you ever intend to buy a FF camera the EF-S 17-55 won't work with it. I suspect its resale value may not be as high as the "L" lens, either. <a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx">Here's a very good review of the 17-55mm</a>. Since both lenses are very highly regarded you're mostly left with the "Wider versus longer" question and whether or not you feel Canon's EF-S lenses are a good idea for you. Good luck!

I would go for the 24-70L, but thats ME personally. Like Beau said, if your ever intending of upgrading to a full frame, you should definately go for the 24-70L. I have tried this lense and cant wait to purchase mine this summer(yes, its a shame I have to wait but O WELL). I believe there is a site "photozone.de" or something like that. But search for that site, it has some pretty good reviews, it led me to the 17-40L (:

Regarding the FF question... getting the "wrong" lens now in anticipation of moving to FF

could make sense if you are sure you will move soon. On the other hand, if you plan to use

the crop body for any length of time, it makes more sense to get the focal lengths that are

right for the current body, even if this means that you need to sell when you move to FF.

If 24-75mm is so suitable for the 40D, then why doesn't Canon or Nikon or somebody, anybody, make a 38-112mm lens for full frame cameras? I'll tell you why. Too few would buy them, that's why. So that begs the question, why should the average photographer find the 24-74mm lens preferable, or even acceptable for a 40D?

Yes, yes, it's a matter of personal choice, I know... But then why don't we insist on 40-115's for full frame shooters who want to make the same choice?

It must be late, I'm getting snippy. :)

The 24-70 makes perfect sense for shooters of both formats, or those planning on moving up to full frame soon. It can also make sense to those few photographers that don't like wide lenses, or people who have a 10-22mm and are in no particular hurry when shooting (because they will be swapping lenses a whole lot). 24mm is right in the middle of the main shooting range for a 40D, and would require way too many lens swaps for me. YMMV.