Jobo CPP-2 gear skipping due to broken plastic chunk?

henry_tolino

The good news: I was recently able to pick up a Jobo CPP-2 (with lift) for

$250.

The bad news: the drive gear grinds and skips, occasionally with my 1500 series

tank, and all the time with my brandly-new Expert 3010 from B&H.

At first (and after searching online) I was afraid that my second-generation

motor (CPP-2 s/# 11901) wasn?t up to the task of driving an Expert series

drum. As a matter of fact, I found the exact description of my problem at:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/31620-jobo-cpp-2-lift-gears.html.

But if I push my index finger against the white gear in the back of the lift

while the motor is turning, the Jobo works fine in both directions ? even with

a loaded Expert 3010.

After a closer look at the lift mechanism, I?m afraid that the lift itself is

broken; a chunk of plastic appears to be missing, which lets the white gear

wobble as it turns. You can see the damaged part on the attached image.

Do you Jobo folk (and you know who you are) believe that the missing chunk of

plastic is really the problem? Or is the second-generation motor more likely

the culprit? Or perhaps a combination of both?

Is there any way to fix the broken plastic (some kind of bushing or bracket,

perhaps)?

For what it?s worth, by holding the gear with my finger, I was able to

successfully process my first batch of FP-4+ in Pyrocat-HD. And while the

images are trite, to my eyes the negatives are beautiful. <g>

Thanks in advance for any and all help.<div>00NQFy-39976884.jpg.1808ee7e038ecfe4b819d8783ae9cbd5.jpg</div>

If it worked while holding your finger there it is probably just the broken part. I just took a

look at mine to see if I saw a fix for you but it is hard to figure out. If you had the broken

chunk I would say go to HD or Lowes and buy some 2-part epoxy and epoxy it back on. In

the absence of that, if you are handy, go look at some hardware at a home store and see if

you can see something you can make work. If all else fails, contact Jobo as they still have

all the parts for the cpp-2. It is worth fixing as the expert drums are easy to use and

produce nice development. BTW, I believe the motor Jobo uses is a Mercedes windshield

wiper motor made by Bosch.

Thanks for the advice and the suggestion. Unfortunately, the chunk was apparently missing when I bought the CPP-2 a few weeks ago. I'll check with Jobo tomorrow to see if it can be repaired; otherwise, I'll head off to the TrueValue for some epoxy and some plastic sheet.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
You have a second generation cog gear and a first generation lift. I find the same trouble when I use the second generation lift with the old white tapered cog gear designed for the first generation lift. It slips and grinds. More likely you need the correct gear on the shaft of your motor. Does your motor have the tapered shaft with the gear screwing into it directly or does the gear have a screw and compression fitting in it? I have the new lift on an old CPP2 and was able to replace the cog gear with the black on with the compression fitting. You can also get the old white cog gear which is slightly tapered up front to help engage the lift gear as you lower it. The small piece of plastic broken away should not affect the gears engaging. The shaft of the lift gear is pretty long and should have enough beef around it from the remaining housing. If you need a white gear, I have one. That may be the trouble because I know that the new lift and old cog gear doesn't mesh correctly. I haven't tried the new gear to the old style lift but I have both and just for the heck of it I will have to see if this is the same situation. To the best of my knowledge from using the CPP and CPA, that might be all that your problem is, the wrong gear on the motor shaft.