which wood tripod

tim_kimbler

Zone six makes a fine wooden tripod. Pricey though, around $300.00, legs only. You can also adapt a wooden surveyor's tripod, this is the one I like the best. The draw back is that it does not colapse into small sections. Collapsed its still almost four feet long. Graflex also made good wooden tripods in the past, they are available at photoshows and in the used market. You are probably best off to keep your eye out for a good used set of legs. I switch my Bogen Ball Head from tripod to tripod. Since you are shooting with a large camera, you need to make sure that the tripod is strong enough to support the camera. Most wood tripods are quite able to fit that bill.

<p>

BKL

• 4 weeks later...
Try the Reis wood tripod. They are not only beautiful, but they WILL SUPPORT your camera. I have their A100, which is for 8x10 and larger cameras and I can hang from the thing! And I weigh more than 200. Plus it is a work of art in itself. Heavy? Yes. Big? Yes. Expsnsive? Yes. But well made and a joy to work with. You'll never have to buy another. Unless, that is, your flight crashes over the Andes and you have to use your tripod for firewood to keep yourself warm waiting for the rescue crew. I like 'em so much I'm trading my metal Gitzo and getting one for my samller formats as well.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I own three wooden tripods- A Berlebach 2042 Report, Light weight Zone VI, and a J-100

-2 Ries with the J-200 double tilt head. (The Ries came with a very nice fleece lined

carrying case). The Berlebach is very lighweight compared to the Zone VI and the Ries but

has a unique "ball joint" on the crown which could serve as a head if you don't have

another head available. I have a Bogen 3047 on it and the Zone VI. The Berlebach is

pretty good for the money and I have used it for 35mm, 6x7cm, and 4x5 shooting and is

easy to carry. The Ries and the Zone VI are both heavy and seem to weigh about the

same. Both could support an 11x14" or bigger. Both are very well made and very solid. I

can put a Wisner 4x5 on either of these without too much worry. The Ries set up was

$500 used, the used Zone VI w/3047 Bogen head $158 and the Berlebach used but in

new condition was $122 without a head. If I had purchased the Zone VI first, I might not

have purchased the Ries (which new with head and case is about $1100). The Ries has

reversible legs for studio or outdoor use. The Berelbach has convertible feet for inside or

outside use and the Zone VI has just the spiked feet. Because the Zone VI is so solid and

the spikes are not too sharp- it can be used inside or out with little worry. I leave it set up

on a hardwood floor and it doesn't cause damage. Wood is a great material for tripods-

doesn't get too cold and absorbs vibrations better than metal. Wood tripods are beautiful

to look at and even the newest high-tech cameras look good on a wooden tripod but

traditional wooden cameras don't look very good on metal tripods. Wood is also

unharmed by the elements.