suggestions wanted

vanessa_p.

I have been shooting child portraits for about a month and I know I can do

better. The only thing I am lacking is equipment. Since the holidays are

approaching, it would be wonderful if anybody could tell me anything I could

get that may improve my portraits. I would like to add them to my Christmas

list. Thanks for your help.<div>00NKJH-39809984.thumb.jpg.085bdf1fbd43e3f0ec2dacff0268d06a.jpg</div>

not that it's easy, but I prefer when they are looking towards, or close to the camera. Alternatively, natural candid looking shots are great but tough to get. I think babies look best with natural, window type light.

Your picture shows a nice emotion but they look like they are not involved with you. Keep trying, since it takes patience with the little ones.

Hi Vanessa - I agree with Mark to focus on the eyes and emotion. That doesn't mean that the child has to be looking at you. I always use children's eyes as my guide. You can take a look at my portfolio for ideas if you'd like and email me if you have any specific questions. When starting out the only way I found to get better is practice, practice and more practice. With time you'll develop your own style which you can market when you build up your portfolio. Best of luck!

When I say focus on the eyes, I didn't mean it so literally. I meant to capture a photograph that shows personality you should use the subject's eyes as your guide. When I look through my camera, I move my lens to the subject's eyes if the child moves their eyes then I move the lens. I hope I am making sense....

For me the essence of a good portrait is the connection between the subject and the person viewing the photograph. In many cases it is through the eyes and the emotion behind them.

Focus on the eyes, literally. Hold your camera's autofocus area over the near eye. Press the shutter down halfway and hold. (You will probably hear a beep, or see a green light.) Still holding, reframe and wait for the expression. Use your software's sharpening function, not the one in the camera.

Equipment doesn't matter. Incredible portraits were taken with RF cameras and a 90mm lens with window light, a reflector and no more.

• 3 weeks later...
I know that this is not a new post but I couldn't help responding. I must say equipment is NOT the only thing you lack. To have this thought is to not fully comprehend your role. You must get a handle on skills and technique WAY before you go hunting for equipment. A great photographer will be able to use a pinhole camera and get amazing results. I am going to be real with you. Your picture is a snapshot, an out of focus snapshot. The lighting wasn't all that great; the subjects get lost in poor composition. You need to look at some of the great photographers' work and try to copy their techniques. Study composition and also learn how to interact better with your subjects. They don't need to actually look into your lens for you to connect. This is intended as a help to you, not to hurt your feelings. I will not ever offer "mushy" critiques because I don't want anyone to do that to me...I want to improve too, and only the truth can do that for any of us... :o) Good Luck and Learn ON!