What IS a Nikon Professional?

mark_fasano

Having just stumbled across an interesting archived discussion over at Nikonians

regarding Nikon Professional Services (NPS) and what some felt was Nikon's

arcane requirements to be considered a Nikon Pro (as compared with, e.g.,

Canon's pro service), I began asking myself: what exactly is a Nikon pro? Or a

pro, period. Nikon's requirements to join are, apparently:

-- a letter of reference from a current Nikon Pro (sounds like gmail)

-- owning at least 2 Nikon pro bodies and 3 Nikkor lenses (probably a reasonable

requirement)

-- clips or tearsheets

-- a letter with your company's letterhead

Anyway, some Nikonians chafed, for example, at Nikon USA's purported exclusion

of the D200 as being a professional body (thus disqualifying the D200 wedding

photographer along with the MWAC from one of Nikon's preconditions), when Nikon

Europe accepts the D200 as a pro body.

Furthermore, they pointed to Canon Pro Services' single requirement (implying

greater fairness and simplicity, perhaps, on Canon's part): at least 51% of

one's income must be derived from photography.

Are NPS' requirements too labyrinthine, or are they vital to keeping the wheat

separated from the chaff, so to speak. And what IS a Nikon Pro?

"Canon Pro Services' single requirement: at least 51% of one's income must be derived from photography."

I have been a Canon Pro in the summer before I went to college. I used my father's Canon P&S to take a picture of a girl. My buddy gave me $1 for that picture. That is the only income I had in that summer.

Neither company wants (for example) hacks getting a hold of press passes at sporting events, walking up to them and flashing their CPS or NPS card, and then borrowing super expensive lenses and then not having those available to press photographers and other genuine pros.

That certainly makes sense. But, for Nikon's purposes, am I a hack if I shoot for a paper, do weddings, sell prints but own D200s instead of D2s or D3s? I gathered that was the gripe against Nikon. Plus, who knows an actual Nikon Pro? I meet other pros at events who also use Nikon, but I'm not going to tap them on the shoulder during kickoff to ask, "Excuse me, you wouldn't happen to be an actual Nikon Pro, would you?"

I'm a NPS member, dont know that it really makes much difference unless you use the service. It does help when you want equipment or you need repairs, I can have a replacement body in 24 hours, but I PAY FOR IT. There are no freebees or anything like that and you dont get discounts on gear.

But, it's nice to know that if I'm on a shoot and my gear breaks I can usually get a back up the next day (I have used that service and it has worked for me). Other than that, there are few advantages. BTW, how many non pros would pay to have a new body shipped overnight just in case they want to snap a few shots?

The theory, according to the gatekeepers, is that wannabes would clog up the system with their frivolous demands for items/services they don't need.

You're right, Tony, I think the expense is one fact that would strongly dissuade an amateur or MWAC from actually utilizing NPS, even if they were "members."

(BTW, if I send you my clips, will you sponsor me? [grin])

As to Anthony's point about amateurs forging press passes and getting into events and borrowing lenses that real pros could otherwise use, I would agree that that would be a bad thing, but I'm extremely skeptical about the plausibility of such a scenario.

For example, in Louisville, where I work, the two biggies are U of L football/basketball games and the Derby. An unauthorized photographer probably has a better chance of getting into Fort Knox, not in the least because even if he/she somehow managed to forge a pass (they change every year), your name still has to be checked off against a list given to them by pre-approved outlets.

I think Canon's system is more equitable and farther-sighted. It recognizes the emerging as well as the established professional.

Given that more pros seem to use Canon than Nikon, one might assume that Nikon would want to streamline its pro services policy.

For Mark:

You don't have to forge a press pass, you can ask a newspaper for one -- many are increasingly inclined to hire almost anyone as long as they're willing to work for peanuts.

Since Nikon has called the D300 a pro camera, it appears that two of those bodies will work for NPS, so the price of admission has just gone down significantly. I am pretty sure the F6 would also qualify; Nikon does not specify here: http://www.nikonpro.com/about_nps.php what is or is not a "pro" camera.

As for sponsoring you, I was hoping you were going to sponsor me. :(

Sorry, Lex, I guess I'm thinking of the, ahem, age-abundant gents I've met who would sooner gouge out their own eyes than use digital.

Speaking of, I was working a football game recently and passed a dude at the fifty-yard line wielding an old Rolleiflex TLR with one of those old-style Weegee flashbulb flashes from the 40s. It was actually pretty cool. I wanted to ask him some questions about how in the name of humanity he worked with that equipment, but alas I had to work myself.

So: I'm sure you're not as old as Weegee.

Hi Anthony,

I'm hardly an authority on gaining ground-level access to major league sporting events. Sports-wise, I do high school athletics and roller derby.

You are correct that newspapers are willing to hire almost anyone willing to work for peanuts--actually, some pretty good photographers who are willing to work for peanuts--but I'm fairly sure those folks don't get assignments to NCAA basketball games or the Kentucky Derby.

I could be wrong. I've never worked an NCAA basketball game or the Derby, so maybe freelancers are coming in through the windows. My impression from talking to people who are, um, "in the know," for lack of a better term, indicates not.

And the places such freelancers DO get sent by the aforementioned papers--church fairs, drunken birthday parties and bluegrass concerts--don't have any Nikon reps hanging around with cool lenses to loan. Now THAT is something to which I can personally attest.

I was actually (facetiously) asking Tony to sponsor me, but I would sponsor you, Anthony; however, I shoot with D200s, so apparently I'm not bona fidelis. I know some other working photographers who fall into that crack, so my disappointment is assuaged somewhat.

"I'm sure you're not as old as Weegee."

Nope. Not quite as ugly either. But not far from it.

Lots of photographers used Rollei TLRs to shoot boxing and other PJ assignments. I guess familiarity and reflexes make up for the awkward equipment. I've used my TLRs for street photography, but always with prefocusing while using the non-optical "sports" finders.