Taking Photo and Computer Gear Into Morocco, and using it overtly

simon_lipman

Hi all. I am a photographic assistant / digital operator. I am off to Morocco next week. I'll be taking with

me my personal gear that the photographer is renting to shoot a little catalogue. I have read the post

question from Chris Burbank, Feb 01, 2007, about his concerns about taking photo gear to Morocco.

I'll be taking with me, one camera, one lens, two laptops, tripod, pelican case, two small hard drives, spare

batteries for both computer and camera, an assortment of cables and other support stuff.

My questions are these...

1. Do i need a Carnet to enter / leave Morocco with this equipment

2. Am i safe to shoot tethered to my laptop as (with the obvious vigilance) on the streets / locations? Bare

in mind that the photographer will have the camera, cabled to a tripod-mounted laptop. Not the most

inconspicuous, but necessary for this particular job.

Any advice from those of you, who have been in similar situations with lots of gear over there, will be

greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Simon Lipman

Where are you going in Morocco? If it's Tangiers or Casablanca, I would have some concerns - these are more like European cities than Moroccan. Outside of these cities, people are incredibly honest and inclined to steal from you with overpricing rather than taking anything. I found you could leave things anywhere and people would tell you that you left them.

I arrived at Marrakech with a group of photographers a few years back. The two of us with substantial gear were detained in customs for a half hour whilst they inspected our gear and decided what to do. We were uncertain as to whether they might have been looking for some sort of payment, but eventually they just waved us through. We'd passed through Casablanca with no problems. I can't tell you that I ever felt remotely physically threatened in Morocco. But you need to count your change very carefully, be constantly aware that everyone wants to sell you something/take you to see their sisters "rug museum", and that the kids can be persistent and disruptive beggars. I'd be more inclined to expect my time to be stolen than my camera.

I was in Morocco in March/April of this year. I came in and out of morocco through the airport in Casablanca a few times (to/from France, U.S., Senegal, Mali) and never had anybody check my camera gear other then x-raying my backpack. I had a fully loaded phototrekker with a couple of bodies, laptop and 5 lenses. Shooting in places like Marrakech, Fez, Casablanca, Meknes, etc. (The tourist places) is no problem, people there are somewhat used to tourists and as long as you don't stick your camera in their face don't really have problems with you taking photos. Shooting tethered to a laptop would be a bit difficult, you definately need to keep an eye on your stuff. Keep in mind that in the old cities the streets are often very narrow, and you'll have people, motorcycles, donkeys, etc. squeezing past you as you're walking/shooting.

I didn't have any bad experiences, but make sure you keep an eye on your gear! I always take a pac-safe mesh for my backpack just in case I need to leave it in a hotel.

I too took a trip to Morocco in November 06 and had no trouble with anyone checking my

gear in customs, and I had 2 1dN bodies, and 2.8 glass. I felt totally safe in Marrakesh and

Tangiers. Cassablanca by the mosque seemed safe also, it's funny, you will adopt a car care

taker at every street where you'll be expected to pay a fee, though not mandatory.

You can take a look at my morocco images at :

http://brideday.com/Documentary-into-new.html

I didn't go through an airport in Morocco (I went through the port of Casablanca) and most of my time was in Merrakech. I felt safe the entire time. I don't think I would have wanted to have left things laying willie nillie, but I didn't feel like someone was going to attempt to steal anything from me. My wife was freaked out, but that is because she doesn't like people who are pushy trying to sell you everything under the sun (and somethings over it).

Interesting story about rug mueseums...I think everybodies sister, mother or wife has one, maybe two. Or at least that is what it seemed like. That or I couldn't get a better deal on whatever item it was they wanted to sell me anywhere else, that or the item was perfect for me.

With little fail you can get someone to come down in price to at least half of what they were trying to sell it for. Sometimes more. About the only things you don't haggle over is the price of food and water (and if you are gutsy you can probably haggle those as well, I didn't).

People seemed friendly, but pushy. Most people didn't mind their pictures being taken, but I was in a more touristy area of Merrakech, if I was off the beaten path more that may have been a different story. I have heard some people remark that a lot of people did not want their picture taken in Merrakech, but that was generally not my experience (though as I said most of my pictures were taken in more touristy areas or in the souks and 80% of the pictures were architecture shots).

I traveled through the south from Marrakech. Never had a problem. As a matter of fact

people were nice and respectful. I left my laptop more than once in the 4x4, and it was fine.

Its like everywhere, there is the good and the bad.

If you respect the people and their culture, they will respect you as well.

Actually my trip to Morocco, inspired the workshops I am conducting.

You can see some of my shots from Morocco if you would like

www.malkafoto.com and www.malkafoto.com鴲avel

• 8 years later...

<p>May 2016 - Im just back from Morocco - a country I know pretty well. I would avoid leaving from Casablanca airport if at all possible - it is hell on earth at the moment - three hours from arrival to gate in a heavy shuffling queue. Take photocopies of receipts - otherwise I dont foresee any problems with customs. Apart from a good deal of disorganisation, Morocco is fairly European in outlook and procedures. A tethered laptop presents its own issues as it would on the street anywhere. Take the advice and get a guide. They do more than look after gear and will be worth every penny.</p>