Shutter Speed on Nikon 100

kathleen_saunders

Assuming you're talking about the D100, and normal light conditions indoors - outdoors wouldn't be a problem - set your camera to a higher ISO, 800 or 1600 should still give you usable pictures, and certainly better than a blurred one from camera movement or motion in what you photograph.<p>

If you're doing macro, still life, etc with lots of details, I'd naturally recommend getting a tripod as you want sharp noiseless pictures. A a clever photographer once said: "My sharpest lens is my tripod."

Kathleen, please clarify exactly which camera you are referring to. If it is an SLR camera such as the film F100 for digital D100, we also need to know which lens you are using.

You probably need to use a larger aperture and perhaps also faster film or higher ISO setting for digital.

I'm confused here.

The F100, a film slr, doesn't actually have an "Auto" setting. It does have (P)rogram mode. But in any case, when you use a film camera, your iso is influenced by your choice of film.

If you raise the iso well above the rating of the film, you'll need to develop it, or have the lab develop it accordingly.

If you're shooting in very low light, with a slow lens (e.g., a zoom lens with f/3.5 or f/4 max aperture) and no flash, you should certainly try fast film. And even then, you may be in for a challenge.

Finally, I'd answer your last question "yes" -- short of using a tripod you can improve results at low speeds by bracing the camera on something as you shoot whenever possible and practicing your own hand-holding technique -- holding elbows against body, slowing yourself down, etc.

Kathleen, if you are using an F100 film SLR, please specify which lens (lenses) you are using and what is the film speed.

To test the built-in meter inside the F100, I suggest you try the so called "sunny 16" rule. For example, with ISO 100 film in a sunny day outside, your meter should read 1/100 sec and f16 or any other equivalent value.

If your meter is fine, try shooting with faster film such as ISO 400 negative film.

Kathleen,

I am taking a stab in the dark here:

I think you may have misunderstood the part of the F 100 instructions to set the smallest lens aperture on the lens and lock it in. This is only for communication between lens and camera. You can manually = use the dial wheels to change that aperture to whatever the lens can give you. BUT, if you set aperture firmly to f/22, of course your speeds will be dismally slow in low light: so at the back of the lens: lock in f/22, but set the lens aperture (via the control wheels) to f/4 or f/5.6 (watch the display in the viewfinder) and at the same time watch your shutter speeds come up to decent levels shorter than 1/30 sec.

Did i hit your problem right?