building a studio

pierre_levasseur

My previous studio was 14'x 35'. I matched the paint to a gray card (18 percent gray or so) and it was perfect. Initially it was painted slightly off white, and the whole place turned into a giant soft box. The gray was excellent. Total control, without eating the light.

Black will probably insure that you will rarely go into your new studio--it is way too depressing! My studio is fairly large, but I had a dark green and dark brown on a wall close to my shooting area and never had any color spill, in fact, after one shoot, I had a bright yellow wall that I didn't paint over for several months with no problem. My ceiling and other walls were all white, which I used frequently for creating "ambient light" on some sets, but only by actually shooting lights into the ceiling(13ft) or walls.

Your light control might also be a factor. If you are shooting thru white umbrellas, then the walls and ceiling(taller the better) will become a factor, whereas using grids on your lights or a softbox will diminish the extraneous bounce--a low ceiling-8 or 9 foot- might be your biggest issue here!

I don't know what you shoot-tabletop, people or ?, but that might also be a factor. If your door is in the middle of the length of the room, you might consider having the ends different--one dark and neutral and one white. Paint is fairly cheap and you might go with a pleasing, but muted color first and then adjust if you are having issues--do tests.

So, really, every studio and use is different and requires a different approach to make it useful for your way of shooting. Just make it a pleasant and comfortable place to be or you will find it never gets used!