Fix D70 or buy D80?

jettlich

Two months ago I posted a message on this forum stating a problem I was having

w/ my D70 LCD screen stating "No Image Available" for some shots periodically.

We came to the conclusion I should buy a new SanDisk.

We've had a new SanDisk for two(+) months now. It seemed to be working fine

until a few wks ago. The "No Image Available" message is starting to come up

again - only periodically. But unacceptable if you can't afford to lose photos!

My husband was able to recover them w/ the SanDisk recovery software.

Obviously there must be something wrong w/ the CAMERA itself, not the two disks

we've tried. Perhaps the pins that connect the disk to the camera brain are not

working or are bent (doesn't look that way w/ a simple glimpse w/ unmagnified

human eye).

The question is: Is it worth it to send Mr. D70 away to get a quote and then

perhaps fixed? I'd be w/o my camera during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and likely

daughter's birthday, so would have to use my N80 as a back-up (yes, film! I

haven't done film in 3 years!!). OR - would it just make more sense to move on

and buy the D80? Don't know when Nikon may release the next in the line of D70,

D80, etc. . .

Thanks for any feedback. I'm curious to know if others have had this experience

and if so, what they did. Also, your thoughts on what I should do.

Appreciatively, Jenna

Jenna, everyone will give you a different opinion on this one. My take, I would send the D70 to Nikon (or some other service facility) and have them check it out. Maybe it is a quick inexpensive fix.

Nothing wrong with shooting film in the meantime but another option, buy an inexpensive P&S. Even though I usually carry a lot of expensive Nikon gear, I always have my little guy with me as a backup. The cameras today take pretty good pix, at least for snapshot quality. You can get a decent little camera for $200 (US) or so.

If you really need/want a D80, I also would wait a bit and go with the D200 unless it is just too large for you to handle. The D200 price should drop a bit more after the D300 is released shortly. Thus the D80/D200 price difference will be smaller. IMO it is worth a few hundred dollars more for the D200 but YMMV.

"Obviously there must be something wrong w/ the CAMERA itself, not the two disks we've tried."

Not at all obvious to me. How could a D70 damage the CF card slowly in two month time? I just don't see that. I would think it is some software problem or a problem of the card. There are many forged Sandisc cards around perhaps it is one of them or two of them?.

I personally would want to analyze the CF card and see what the problem is but this is not trivial. Perhaps you can find some computer "guru" who knows a lot about memory cards?

Don't get me wrong - it is a possibility but I think not very likely.

Yes, I've had this exact experience. I kept getting the "no images" note, it was not recording.

Mine was a D70s - I sent it to Nikon for a quote, about $250.00. Mine was a "

low mileage" D70s, about three months out of warranty. To my suprise, they decided to

repair it for free - I know the CCD was replaced.

I had same problem before with my D70. Its the contactor from D70. Fortunately, I have repair experience and fixed it by my self. If you send to Nikon, they will charge around $250 regardless what problem and plus major parts if needed. Your question become: pay $250 for old D70 or buy a new one for $$$+ performance!!!-sale old D70.

Wei I can understand how bad contacts between camera and card can produce read/write errors in the card. These errors may easily accumulate but are not physical "damage" of the card. A format of the card can correct such errors, perhaps not the in camera format. It may require a special (expensive) software- hence my recommendation to look for someone who knows about storage cards.

Bad contacts need cleaning or replacement of the card adapter in the D70. Bad contacts will (typically)not damage the card but thorough reformatting may be needed.

Walter,

In my case, the card was not physically "damaged", but electrically damaged. If you use different software/machine you may recover it. In the real world, sometimes things are not that black and white (connect/disconnect), it maybe in a "between" status. My guess is that the camera had ?bad write? then it can't read back:? No Image Available".