High ISO In Bright Environment

frankie_frank1

It'll be interesting to let everyone know what you find. Why? Because newer cameras tend to handle noise better, and for freezing action, using ISO 1600 on a sunny day could work really well. Check the shadows of the image, or areas under exposed -- that's where you migh see some mottledness.

Maybe post a small JPEG here?

If the scene was properly exposed you should be okay - if there are dark shadows in the scene then you will have noise in these areas. ISO 1600 vs. ISO 100 on any camera will have more noise (and any film will have more grain) and less detail in the colors. Proper exposure on a sunny day at ISO 1600 ... you must have had a very fast shutter speed and very small aperture to stop down light - otherwise you most likely have some really blown highlights.

Answer to question 2 - depends on whether you have a properly exposed scene. If you are shooting at f/2.8 to control the depth of field and throw out (blur) a busy background and are shooting toward the direction of the sun, the yes, ISO 100 will most likely be better than ISO 200 to save the highlights.

<i>I accidentally did the same thing, forgot to reset it from a the previous day</i>

<p>

The D200 (and presumably other models) have the two buttons with green dots next to them.

Hold them down until the display flashes to reset many of the often-tweakable options (ISO,

shooting mode, flash/EV compensation, etc). After I take the camera out of the bag, I do the

two-button reset, then Qual+dial once or twice to go to the jpeg or raw mode I want.

I mistakenly kept ISO-1600 setting from previous shootings and was using 18-135 f/4-5.6 zoom plus SB-800. Then I took ouple of bright indoor with flash on and apexture priority at maximum.

The pictures came out very good, no difference from low ISO settings. That made me wonder where the grains went to?

Cont'd

I don't know how ISO circuitry works inside a digital camera. If it is like an amplifier where its amplification depends on the volume control, then the noise depends on how much volume control we need. The lower the volume, the less noise.

In a bright suuny day, even in high ISO settings, internal circuitry (volume control) is only lightly turned on. That is why there is no noise (grain). In low light environment, internal circuitry push the signal from the sensor higher and create noise.

For low ISO settings, internal circuitry gain is limited. That is why there is almost no noise (grain) even in under-exposed cases.

These are just my guess. Correct me if I am wrong.