Looking for an inexpensive AF zoom.

nuno_campos1

Hi,

Could you recommend me a cheap (less than 150$USD, used or new) AF zoom lens

within the 28/35mm-70/105mm range? It could be a Nikon or other brand.

My wife wants a zoom for a F65 body, which I used with the 50mm 1.8 AFD lens

and that I do not use anymore since I bought a F90x.

I have read some reviews from Ken Rockwell and Bjorn Rorslett and probably the

28-80mm AFG f/3.3-5.6 or the old 28-80mm f/3.5-4.5 AFD would be ok.

I know that it would not be a great lens with that money but I do not need a

fast lens or something rugged. I would like an average lens, not a true dog.

Could you recommend me some lens or tell me what should I stay away from? (Is

there a sleeper out there?)

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Nuno Campos.

<p>The various 28-80 and 35-80 lenses were the "super budget" lenses of their day. These are not the best optics out there. Given the collapse in prices of zoom lenses for film cameras, I suggest you buy something better, such as the 35-70/3.3-4.5, 28-70/3.5-4.5, or even the 28-105/3.5-4.5.</p>

Just about any AF Nikkor zoom will give you good photos when used stopped down, including the "budget" lenses you mention. But as others have suggested, I wouldn't bother with either of these two, as lenses with a much better build quality can be had for only a few dollars more. Those lenses are very cheaply constructed, and the primary method for holding the major assemblies together is clear adhesive tape.

I have used all three of the lenses that Alvin Wong recommended above and can concur that they deliver very good results for an inexpensive lens. The AF 35~70mm f/3.3-4.5 and AF 28~70mm f/3.5-4.5D (or non-D) are both very compact lenses (52mm filters) and don't get the optical credit they deserve (they are "sleepers"), probably because of the relatively short zoom range. Both will balance very well on an F65 thanks to their small size. And both can easily be found for well under $100. The AF 28~105mm f/3.5-4.5D is an excellent lens, but may be close to the limit for your budget, and is considerably larger (62mm filters) than the other two.

One other you might want to consider is the older AF 28~85mm f/3.5-4.5 (also 62mm filters). I used this lens for years before I finally replaced it with an AF-S 24~85mm f/3.5-4.5G (great lens, but probably out of your budget), and actually preferred it to the 28~105mm. Look for the last "N" version with the wider rubber manual focusing ring. It's also a very good performer for the price, although the focus is a bit noisy compared to more contemporary models.

One other thing to be aware of is that both the 28~85mm and 28~105mm lenses may block the lower portion of the F65's pop-up flash coverage when zoomed to 28mm. That's actually part of the reason the 28~70mm was introduced - its small size doesn't block the pop-up flash.

Good luck - lots of choices in the used market to fit your budget.

The 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AF Nikkor (pre-D) is an excellent zoom for the money. I sold mine earlier this year only because I didn't need four midrange Nikkor zooms. I think I got $125 for it and you can probably find it for even less.

It's as sharp as the popular 18-70/3.5-4.5 DX or 24-120 VR, but with far less barrel distortion at the wide end. It's actually usable at 28mm while some lower priced zooms are barely tolerable at their widest focal lengths. Not quite as contrasty or color saturated as newer Nikkors but still very good.

It offers a "macro" setting at 28mm, similar to that on the 35-70/2.8 AF Nikkors: Set the zoom to the widest focal length, push a button, twist the zoom ring and manually set focus and/or magnification. Not a true macro but useful in a pinch for non-critical closeups.

The front element rotates with focusing so it might be a bit fussy for use with a polarizer, but I never used a polarizer with this lens. Autofocus is surprisingly quick, even with my old N6006. I was able to photograph action sports with it, such as skateboarders at a local park.

"The Nikon 28-105mm macro is a GREAT lens and is selling really cheap this days."

I replaced mine with a 18-135, but miss it. There are few if any lower priced zooms that are F4.5 at 105mm. Sharp, contrasty, low distortion, and a semi-macro mode. A great value.

Although I have a lot of other Nikkor AF lenses, one that I have often kept on camera is the 24-50 f/3.3-f/4.5 lens. It's light and focusses quickly for a "screwdriver" lens. Some people claim that it isn't sharp enough, but many of the photos (usually scenics) that I have taken have done well in local camera club competitions. If ordered from KEH it is well within your budget.

One other that I forgot about that you might also want to consider is the AF 35~105mm f/3.5-4.5D. Try to find the final AF-D version, as it is an improved optical redesign of the earlier versions (it has fewer elements, and one aspherical element), although the non-D versions certainly aren't optical dogs. It's a compact push/pull zoom (much smaller than the 28~105) that takes inexpensive 52mm filters. Probably not as good as the 28~85mm, and I eventually sold it because I found the wide end not wide enough for my use, but the extra reach on the long end was nice. Should also be able to find this one for under $150USD (KEH.com has a few).