17-55mm f/2.8 IS soft at wide open

piyomaru

Just got a quick question for the expects in this forum. I just purchased the

17-55mm f/2.8 IS but is a bit disappointed at the sharpness of the lens at

wide open. For example, the following shot is taken at f/2.8 @ 17mm with

center point focusing focus locked to the eyes. The picture looks fuzzy to

me. Is there problem with my camera or my lens? Please help!<div>00NGzB-39726584.jpg.85039bdb1f482b79d77673b7e3ae02f4.jpg</div>

What was your shutter speed? I'm assuming this was shot handheld. Also, what ISO. Actually this shot looks fine to me. He looks sharp enough. If you are refering to the teddy bear in the background, that's just due to the shallower depth of field at F2.8. Maybe you are just not used to that. Also, at wide open Aperture, zoomed to the wide end, any lens will have it's poorest porformance. Do a search on how to test out a lens properly before drawing any conclusions. I think your's is probably just fine.

EXIF data says Canon Rebel XTi f/2.8 and 1/60 @ 100 ISO in program mode. With IS on it should be sharp.

The small version shown looks sharp enough at the eyes, but it's hard to tell without seeing a 100% crop. You can turn up the camera's internal sharpening if you want, or use USM in post processing. But the real question is, how does it print?

Show us a pixel level crop of the face and we can actually judge the sharpness. Like others

have said, DOF is shallow at F2.8 so anything outside the plane of focus will be soft. If you

need sharpness beyond the plane of focus, you need to stop down.

Individual copies vary somewhat. However my 17-55 2.8 is deadly sharp at F2.8. It's a wee

bit sharper in the middle range but still amazingly sharp. The main reason I use F2.8 is for

shallow depth of field. I want the background soft. However you'll get the most of this feature

on the long end of the zoom.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Andy, I have the same focusing problem with my kit lens at f/3.5 @ 18mm, I suspect that it has to do with my camera calibration. I do not want Canon to only tune the 17-55mm IS + camera calibration, I want the camera body to be properly calibrated so that I can get consistent focus even for future lens purchases, how should I go about doing this with Canon?

Mendel might be right--maybe the T-shirt right behind his head is more in focus. In any case, to avoid having the lens and body calibrated to each other, send the body in first. Canon will do as Peter says--calibrate the body to a known good lens. Then send in the lens and they will do the opposite--calibrate it to a known good body.

Well, thank you all for all your help. I'll be sending in my camera and lens for calibration since they both are less than 2 months old. The funny part is that the reason I purchased the 17-55mm is because I was not able to obtain reasonable sharpness from the kit lens. If the problem really lies in the calibration of the camera body, I guess I should be able to get usable pictures from the kit lens too.