Deardorff vs Linhof for first LF camera

j_reid1

Hi all,

I am buying a LF camera to shoot type 55 polaroid and to realise a project of urban landscapes (colour).

I will also be shooting with a view to platinum/palladium printing directly from the negs (not in all

cases).

At the moment there are two kits i am considering.

1) Deardorff 5x7" camera with a 4x5" back as well. A 90mm f/4.5 Sinaron 105 degrees lens (covers 5x7

+) in copal #0 shutter (all mint) on deardorff lensboard and 210mm f/5.6 schneider lens (covers 8x10

definetly but just) in Compur #1shutter (all excellent +) on deardorff lensboard are the lenses. 2x 5x7

film holders (loaded with tri-x for immediate use.) 1 spare lensboard with hole for copal #3 shutter.

Also, there is a 305mm G-claron, for sale as a seperate issue from same vendor.

2) Linhof Technika IV 4x5 with 4 lenses. 127 Schneider, 75 Schneider, 210 Schneider and a 240 or 260

Schneider (I haven't actually seen the kit yet) Whole kit described as 8+ in condition with a variable

viewfinder, grip and 6x7 back.

Both kits, the DD without the 305mm G-claron, are similarly priced. I will want to get a polaroid back

and possibly a 6x7 back for the DD if I go on that direction.

I like the idea of the choice of 5x7" and 4x5" on the Deardorff. The 5x7 will be a nice size for direct to

platinum prints. Obviously the linhof is a more 'complete kit' and i will need a standard lens for the DD

before too long.

My main interest in LF is being able to control/eliminate convergence, and the inherent quality from

negative area.

I'm interested in people's thought.

Cheers,

J

I'm thinking about buying a luxury car because I want to use Chevron super unleaded gas, and also Union 76. Should I get a BMW or Mercedes?

Neither. Get something dirt cheap and get good at what you want to do, learn something about it, and then use your knowledge and experience to decide what you need to acheive your vision. I would start with a cheap Cambo or Toyo with a 210, and a 4x5 enlarger to go with it.

Keith

Both cameras are excellent. I've used Deardorff since 1972 and still own an 8x10 and owned a master Technika for 25 years. I've shot many thousands of sheets through both and both are superb in every way. The Deardorff isn't the best wide camera and for that matter the Technika IV is limited too. The bellows compresses a great deal and restricts movements to a great degree. Both perform best with normal to loger glass. IMO there's no big preference either way for wides. For longer glass then the Deardorff has more movements but can not be hand held like the Technika.

My suggestion would be to look for a camera with a wide angle bag bellows and a normal bellows. Cambo, Horsman, Toyo, Sinar, Linhof and many others make great cameras and can be found dirt cheap now. The bag bellows is esential for wide lenses.

Look at a used 90 Fuji, Schneider Super Angulon, Nikkor or Rodenstock Grandagon and then noprmal 150 lenses and slightly longer lenses like a 210 or 240 by the same makers. Calumet rebadged many Rodenstocks under their name.

You should be able to put a nice kit together for a small price.I would suggest putting together an economy kit of basic items to see if LF is your thing. LF is much more involved than 35mm and MF not to say you won't love it.

J,

I don't see a straight forward answer for the full range that you present.

You have it right that 5 x 7 is "nice" for platinum.

With experience, the Technika is a very versatile and compact camera to carry, use and set-up. The Deardorf is probably easier to learn on.

Film and printing may be a different play. The choices color film is of course limited at 5 x 7, hence the reducing back is an advantage. Enlargers for 5 x 7 require more space etc. However if you plan on scanning negs, that might be a non issue. You could consider producing digital negs from the scans for platinum printing.

If the last is the case, I would go for the Linhof, a good book on technique and then spend 2 hours a day for a month rehearsing going through every movement and adjustment (dry without shooting) so you aren't trying to learn these while in the field.

Be forwarned, the 75 schneider can be a little difficult to completely utilize on a tech IV. I assume it comes with a special lens board to allow focus. Full movements are somewhat limited (even true on the latest tech versions, but improved.) I do use a 65mm but on a MT2000.

Some deardorfs did not have front swing, which might be a factor for you depending on your needs which you haven't experienced yet. Rear swing controls perspective and focus. Front swing will control focus without changing the perspective of convergence.

There is an article called Gettng Started in Large Format on the View Camera web site in the Free Articles section. There are several other helpful articles there as well.

Using a 5x7 with a 4x5 reducing back and a 90mm lens might be a problem. The bellows might be so compressed that you won't have much movement.

steve simmons

www.viewcamera.com

I suggest getting the BMW right away. Whatever that is. Both are good cameras. If you are interested in contacts get the 5x7. Just make sure the Dorff has front swings--the old 5x7's did not. Also check the bellows carefully. The older lenses that come with used Linhofs can be a disappointment. So is the G Claron. I am sure there will be other opinions, but I have tried several of these and they are just not as good as modern Schneider or Rodenstock lenses.

5x7" is definately more nicer for Platinum.

There are not many choices to shoot color on 5x7" but if you get a 4x5" adapter for the Dear, I would suggest to go for 5x7". You can also use polaroid 55 with this adapter, which makes this a better option in my eyes.

AnThere is always the possibility of scanning and producing digital negs for a bigger platinum print, in case you decide to go for the 4x5" but I would not.

It is a very subjective matter.

I use a 4x5" calumet on field, and a 5x7" Improved Seneca that I just restored (almost three months restoring the camera and now it looks and works like being out of the factory yesterday...!!!)

I prefer to look at 5x7" negs. No doubt. And I love my Improved Seneca.

It is up to your needs.

@Keith... Your analogy sounds very American, and I'm from Australia so I don't fully

understand it. I assume though that you are being patronising. Why buy something 'dirt

cheap' only to lose money on upgrading it later? I have little intention of enlarging from LF

(which I didn't state in my first post) so buying a 4x5 enlarger is not required. What I don't

contact print I will scan, either for digital output or for larger-than-contact platinum prints

(which I do now from MF and 35mm.)

The cheapest LF cameras seem to be monorails, which I've used before and which I know I

don't want to use in the field.

@Bruce & Wilbur... I will check regarding the front swings. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for your thoughts everybody.

J

Sorry, J. I just meant that you don't need to shoot for the best of the best right off the bat in order to get good results.

My analogy was basically saying that it sounded like you wanted to get a certain brand of camera or a certain extent of kit just to use a certain film, when you could use that film in any camera and get just as good, for the most part.

Keith

Hi Keith,

It's more along the lines of these two kits being what's available on the market in Sydney right now. I'm loathe to buy from the States and/or from eBay because the shipping is so expensive on heavy items like these, and I also like to see/feel/lick the condition of stuff before buying. The Deardorff is being offered to me privately, because the seller is quite emotionally attached to it and wants to "keep it in the family" (me being a former student of his and a user of his darkroom).

No offence taken Keith, I've just been after a kit for a while, passed up a few crud ones, missed a good one and found myself faced with these two - similarly priced/both great cameras/options. I've gone with the Deardorff, mostly for the 5x7 option and because I believe it will be easier to handle wide-angle lenses with.

I always thought I'd end up with a Linhof, because I had a 2x3 Technika previously and because I thought I'd need a metal camera to take the beating I'll no doubt give it. Horseman and others are off my radar and always have been. I no little about them etc. Likewise with the Deardorff, but the seller is also a mentor and keen to see me up and running with it.

J