assistant but I do not currently own any equipment (I used to own the Canon

1ds Mk1) except for 4x5 gear.

So what do I buy? Do I wait for the Nikon d300 to arrive? 40D? 5D? Which

lenses? Flash?

I know this is very general but if any of you could share what

camera+lens+flash combo you are using for events/weddings, it might help me to

get on the right track. This purchase would be solely to shoot this type of

photography.

I am considering a 2 body setup, so I could probably afford 2x40D or (maybe)

5D+40D, depending on which lenses I purchase.

Any advice?

Spend your money on glass before bodies. For 90% of your shots, the 40D and the 17-55mm f2.8 will be great. Then get yourself either a 200mm f2.8, an 85mm f1.8 with an extender, or if you can afford it, the 70-200mm f2.8 IS for long shots. Finally, the 580EX (or EX II) with NiMH batteries, and a Lightsphere diffuser (the old fashioned cloudy type works best in my opinion).

This statement perturbs me:

"This purchase would be solely to shoot this type of photography".

Why? A good wedding setup works for just about any kind of indoor or outdoor photography.

Later,

Paulsky

parasko - first, invest in glass, not bodies.

I'm a canon shooter, so that's what I know. my opinion is that most photographers can shoot perfectly well on canon or nikon - myself included.

if you are tight for $$, then buy two canon 20D bodies for $500-$600 each (used of course).

buy the 17-55 IS 2.8 and the 85mm 1.8 and you can do an entire event with just those two lenses. or instead of the 85mm 1.8, the 70-200 F4.

finally, don't choose a system based on ONE camera or ONE lens. choose a system based on how it all fits together...

I use 2 Nikon D80 Nikon 85 1.8 and Nikon 80-200 f2.8 SB 800. Don't blow all of you money on the body get a fast zoom a fast wide and high end prime lens like the 85 others have suggested. If I shot Canon the 85 f1.2 would be my main lens....I think my only lens !

Thanks to you all for your comments so far, and for the valuable link.

I'm leaning towards the 40D, (possibly two of them), as it is newer technology. I really want a FF camera and loved the FF viewfinder of my previous 1ds Mk1 but the edges were so soft on all L lenses!! I'm assuming the same issue with the 5D.

Does the 17-55mm lens become approx. 28-80 on a 1.6crop camera?

How does this compare to the 16-35mm 2.8 or 17-40mm L lenses?

The 17-55 on a crop body like the 40D, becomes like a 27-88mm lens. It's a decent range for a quality f/2.8 lens, and it adds image stabilization for even more versatility. Its image quality is as good as any of Canon's mid range L zooms, but is subject to more flare, and the build quality is not as robust. Perhaps more important, it won't mount on a full frame body, but if you're sticking with crop frame cameras, it's the lens to get.

It's hard to say how good Nikon's D300 will be. It might be a 40D killer, but will probably be just another nice new camera with fancy features and good image quality. Either way, it's not likely to be a dud, and I think it would be worth waiting another month to hear at least the first round of reviews.

Same thing with Canon's 5D replacement with most people agree should be announced in February. If you can hold off until March, it might be worth the wait.

My latest thinking on things, re equipment based upon a recent W&P fit out with Canon gear:

1. Three bodies, one 135 format 2x APS-C (1x5D, 2 x 30D /40D)

2. Lenses: 24 to 70F2.8L; 70 to 200F2.8L IS; 24F1.4L; 50F1.4; 85F1.8 or 135F2L

3. Three Flash units (580 series)

4. Tripod

5. Monopod

6. >16Gb memory

7. Diffuser, reflector, x2 BU batteries / power packs for all units, gaff tape, marker pens, penknife, mobile phone, $100 cash, etc etc.

Standard setup 2 cameras working:

a) 5D + 24 to 70F2.8L main camera; b) 30/40D + 50F1.4, second camera; 24F1.4 in pocket

30/40D + 85mm or 135mmF2 back up camera with 70 to 200 in kit bag.

Have a think about the speed and flexibility of the combination: the least necessary is the 70 to 200F2.8LIS, in which case the 135F2L (instead of the 85F1.8), becomes essential, and possibly the EFx1.4MkII is considered.

This kit was x4 units and the 70 to 200 was a shared item over the 4 kits.

The studio shoots to reasonably high $ issue.

See here and similar for the history:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Mt84

WW