Any experience with Epson Japan support for the R-D1?

bob_mcbob

I was wondering if anyone here has had their R-D1/R-D1S serviced under warranty

by Epson Japan. I have an R-D1S a friend bought for me in Tokyo, and I need to

have it looked at, but I'm having a really hard time finding anyone to contact.

I have the Japanese support number, but I'd rather not try calling if at all

possible. I've been trying to find an e-mail address, but they don't appear to

use e-mail for this sort of thing.

I tried getting in touch with Epson USA to see if they could forward the camera

to Japan or give me any sort of contact info, but that was a dead end. I also

tried contacting "mastsuiyastore" on eBay to see if he could help at all, but he

didn't even reply.

It looks like I'll have to call the Japanese support number directly and hope I

can find someone who speaks English. Assuming I do manage to get through, do

they have any sort of system in place to service cameras sent from other

countries, or would I be better off sending it to a friend who could forward it

to them for me?

I bought a R-D1 with -s upgrade demo from mastsuiyastore via ebay and it all works great; it was brand new in the box. Whats "wrong" with your camera that you need it "looked at"? Many items returned for repair have nothing wrong with them, or there is a cockpit/manual/mode that is abit in a weird state. Typically folks dont want to debug software or hardware when there is no mention of a problem. Did you give Epson any details; or just a "request to have it serviced?"

If the framelines are crooked you should get it repaired in the US, which will cost hardly any

more, and will save the risk and time of sending it to Japan. The other possibility is that the

sensor chip, rather than the frameline mask, is misaligned, in which case you <i> will

</i>have to send it back. <p>

In any case, it's definitely worth posting over at rangefinderforum.com where there are many

more R-D1 experts than here. Good luck.

Chris, try this. Via Google go to" Epson America, Inc. - Support: Product Selection - Drivers &

Support." They have a page for cameras which will take you to the RD-1s. There can contact

them by e-mail directly. They should be able to direct you to Epson, Japan.

<i>

If the framelines are crooked you should get it repaired in the US, which will cost hardly any more, and will save the risk and time of sending it to Japan. The other possibility is that the sensor chip, rather than the frameline mask, is misaligned, in which case you will have to send it back.

</i>

<p>

I don't know where to try in the US. I e-mailed Steve's Camera, but they haven't got back to me yet. I think Epson USA charges over $500 for out-of-warranty repairs, so it would be cheaper to send it to Japan. I'm fairly certain the problem is only with the framelines -- they are tilted with respect to the edges of the frame and the sensor patch. I will check that the sensor is level before doing anything else, though.

<p>

<br>

<i>

Chris, try this. Via Google go to" Epson America, Inc. - Support: Product Selection - Drivers & Support." They have a page for cameras which will take you to the RD-1s. There can contact them by e-mail directly. They should be able to direct you to Epson, Japan.

</i>

<p>

I wish... I called Epson USA's R-D1 service line directly, and they didn't have a clue how to get in contact with Epson Japan. I was hoping they might be able to forward it to Japan for me (since I know they have to send some cameras there), but they wouldn't do that. I was able to find out much more information myself by checking Epson Japan's web site. Unfortunately, I don't speak Japanese well enough to deal with them over the phone if they can't speak English.

<p>

<br>

<i>

Try Stephen at CameraQuest. After all, it's Voigtlander Bessa and he can get the RF fixed.

</i>

<p>

He says they don't do any work on the R-D1. Don Goldberg won't touch it, either.

I would certainly try to call Japan first and keep asking for someone who can speak English. Might take a few tries over a few hours (or days) but they are generally quite helpful. I have walked to their offices many times and there is usually at least someone who can speak passing English and can guide to the right place. Over the phone it is a bit more difficult and I would expect to be cut off a few times, intentionally or not.

I heard back from Steve last night. He says he can't tell me whether he could fix the camera unless he sees it in person. If it requires any parts, it would have to go to Epson. Considering it would be around $100 for round trip shipping, plus any labour expenses (and this is assuming he could actually fix it), sending it to Japan is probably a better option (only $100 each way).