DPP upgrade question

nilangsu mahanty

Today I've upgraded the version of DPP that'd come with my EOS 350D two years

back. The latest version, I think, is 3.2.0. But the lens correction tool in

the tools palette appears to be inactive. Does anybody have any idea why? Why

should it be body-specific? It should apply to all CR2 files, shouldn't it?

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas.

Regards,

Nilangsu

There are limitations on body and lens combinations. I don't think the 350D is supported (but the 400D is).

For a full list of what's compatible and what's not see http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_dpp_32.html

My biggest complaint is that the EF-S 17-85IS isn't supported (yet?), and it really needs help at 17mm. They support the 5 different versions of the 18-55 kit lens, so they're obviously not just supporting pro level lenses!

Obviously they are not ever going to offer support for Sigma or other 3rd party lenses. Let's just hope they add the rest of the Canon lenses in the next update.

You can use PTLens to fix problems with combinations not supported by DPP. It's shareware/freeware plus donation, and is available both as a Photoshop plugin and stand alone application:

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Many lenses are automatically covered (including the Canon 17-85 and many popular third party lenses), and you can apply to have an unlisted lens added to the automated list by sending in test images. Moreover, you can tweak the results yourself anyway. As a side benefit, your digicam may also be covered already if you have one.

For rather more money, DXO Optics Pro provides slightly more sophisticated adjustments (it works better for closer subjects than does PTLens), albeit that the range of lenses covered is slightly more limited than PT Lens.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo

Yes, Sitthivet, the wide-angle lenses need more correction, in fact, a lot more correction.

Thank you so much, Bob, for the link to your site, and Mark, for the link to an immensely impressive software. I am stunned to see what PTlens achieves. I wonder what the trade-off is.

Thank you, Wes, for your response.

Regards,

Nilangsu

I tried most of my Canon lenses (10) and only the EF 24-105 L was supported. So apparently

it's a short list. I wanted to try the vignette feature but I couldn't find any wide shots at F4. I

seem to always stop down for more DOF when shooting sweeping landscapes.

However the EF-S 17-55 is the one that really needs corrections due to frequent purple

fringing, and it ain't supported. I suspect Canon will slowly add lens profiles to DPP with

subsequent updates. Nevertheless, DPP 3.2 is an excellent program made better. And it's

free.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<cite>I am stunned to see what PTlens achieves. I wonder what the trade-off is.</cite>

<p>Nothing that I've found yet. I've been using various versions of PTLens for a couple of years now and I think it's fantastic. I can fix curvilinear distortion (automagically), <abbr title="chromatic aberration">CA</abbr>, perspective distortion, and my laziness in not getting the horizon horizontal, all in one program, all at a full 16-bit depth*. PTLens will run in multiple threads, too, to speed things up on hardware which supports this (multi-CPU, multi-core, or hyperthreaded systems). I don't have vignetting problems (I use full-frame lenses on a 1.6-crop body, which cures vignetting in most cases) and don't need to de-fish images (since I don't have a fish-eye) but it can fix those, too.</p>

<p>If you use DPP as your RAW converter, then certainly it's beneficial to have these sorts of things incorporated into DPP. But it's not exactly groundbreaking, since other programs such as PTLens, DXO, and ACR have had at least some of these capabilities for a while now. Really, Canon's playing catch-up.</p>

<p>*: I use it as a plug-in in PSE3. The PTLens plug-in works at 16 bits; the standalone is limited to 8.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere that PTlens can be used inside the Bibble RAW converter. That would seem to be a nice workflow option for some.

PTlens is really great, period. I just upgraded DXO to the version that was released last week. Of course, none of the lenses I own are supported for the 40D yet. Guess I'll be using PTlens forever.