Critique...not sure if I'm ready for this business. long way to go!

OK, so I am completely prepared to be bashed although I'd really like to do

this so I guess if I have any sort of hope that would be good to know.

This photo is taken on 35mm film and then put on disk by Walmart. I am assuming

this is not the best way to get a digital photo, but my canon xti is on it's

way and in lieu of "real" digital photos I wanted to get a critique in time to

be able to return the xti if I need to..haha!

I just downloaded Photoshop and so I imagine I may need to become familiar with

that before I try to sell a photo.

Anyhow, enough excuses, I just wanted to give you the background of the photo.

Taken of my 1 week old son in a east window, early morning through sheers.

I posted this in the main board but meant to post it here...not that it matters

I just thought it made more sense here. I think from other critiques I have a

long way to go. I thought I was being creative here and actually I really

wanted to photograph that fine baby hair and wrinkles that tend to fade after a

few weeks.

Thanks for looking!

I can understand that you wanted the wrinkles and hair but high contrast and the face totally in the dark makes it a bit scary. I'm sure you'll be happy with these literally "once in a lifetime" shots for the years to come but selling something like this is a different story.

"I just downloaded Photoshop and so I imagine I may need to become familiar with that before I try to sell a photo."

Yes, editing is a part of photography. Even small adjustments can make a huge difference and learning what different tools actually do and when to use them takes some time. Don't rush.

Hi Jennifer,

I just now read your response to my earlier post and I'm sorry to be just now getting around to answering you. All I can say is - two sick kids and one sick mommy = no time! But with 4 kids I know you can relate.

I have no education in photography (formally, that is...). It is just a hobby I turned out to have some ability with. That said though, I have also been subscribing to Shutterbug and Rangefinder magazines for quite a while, and have been living with Martin Evening's book "Adobe Photoshop CS3 For Photographers" for many many months. The cover is falling off already and I have memorized the table of contents. I have studied so many books and online sites on photography, from proper exposure to composition to lighting for portraits, etc. But honestly that has been the easiest part for me - it really does seem to some naturally to me. For me learning Photoshop was harder.

What I mean to say is that while I do love photography, especially of my own kids, it has been a long learning curve. When I started I knew nothing at all about Photoshop other than the bare basics, and had a point and shoot camera. It was when I knew I had outgrown my camera that it occurred to me to investigate photography more seriously. So I installed Photoshop and set to work, reading and playing with old photos after my kids had gone to bed. Yes, it is absolutely necessary to learn some photo editing software. I have Photoshop CS3 but primarily use (and LOVE) Adobe Lightroom to import and develop my RAW files. You have to have the ability to edit photos - I have learned that lots of kids have dark circles under their eyes that need retouching, or scraped up faces or knees, or underwear showing under their tutus. Not to mention that to get any effect you're after, like the muted aged photo look or highly saturated colors, you have to know how to do that. Especially if it's what the client wants.

I now have a Canon EOS 5D, the other love of my life besides my family :) But I had to learn how to use that camera intuitively before I felt ready to have any paying customers. I photographed all the kids on my website portfolio for free - I considered those sessions practice, and practice they were! I learned so much doing those sessions, and still earned a tiny bit of money off their print purchases (I gave them prints at half-off). They bought way more than I had anticipated.

As for photo labs, I am SO lucky that right here in my town not 2 miles away is one of the largest photo labs in the Southeast, Mid South Color Labs. They have been wonderful to work with and have taught me so much about the print end of the business.

I use Photocart software for my online store. I constantly sing the praises of this software and I'm so glad I went with it rather than an online proofing company.

The business end is SO complicated. From getting all the proper business licenses to developing a consistent workflow to making sure all the paperwork stays in order - yikes. But since you already have a business you're ok on all that I'm sure. But for me that is the worst and hardest part.

And even though people say they really "love my work", I have had only a few clients. So I'm trying to get the word out, and trying to keep in mind that I have SO much to learn. I am such a newbie and I hope to make it work, but sticking it out will be tough.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded response. I wish you all the very best and hope you can turn your love of photography into a business. I for one rather liked the photo of your newborn son. No, I wouldn't submit it to a stock photo site, but the love you have for him shows in that photo. As mothers don't we want to count every hair on their tiny little bodies? I think it's a sweet photo.

Regards,

Carrie

Hi Jennifer,

Most of my amateur work is babies and children - shot at home. On average I do 3 or 4 shoots every week.

I didn't set out to either become a photographer - and certainly not to shoot baby/children portraits, but one friends shoot lead to her friend, and her friend etc... Before you know it you are a baby photographer!

The shot you posted is lacking a little but with a little practice (on camera and in Lightroom or Photoshop) you will be knocking them out with no trouble.

Carrie makes some excellent points above, take them onboard (and I also vote for Lightroom - instead of Photoshop if need be).

This may sound slightly sexist and I don't intend to invoke the wrath of all the excellent lady photographers out there but I have noticed a tendency for (some) women to not invest as much time learning the technicalities of both the camera and post-production. I'm not sure if its because blokes like engineering, pulling stuff apart - breaking things....

This is said with 7 years experience working with all types of people in the creative industry. I would urge you to take Carrie's excellent advice and learn the PC side of things - and really understand your F-Stops and ISO's.

Yes there is some tricky business stuff to think about but my advice is to not run it as a business for 6 months to a year. Don't let it worry or distract you. Offer free shoots to friends and friends of friends. Then, when you have your workflow, patter, technical knowledge up to speed start to charge a few bucks here and there.

Another odd thing to say is this. Your photographic ability may only account for 10-20% of a succesful business. People skills, marketing, psychology, humour are all the things that will make you succesful.

The way you articulate yourself in your post (friendly, casual, self effacing) suggests you have the right character for this business - so you are already half way there.

KEEP AT IT. Keep learning, keep making mistakes and just get on with it. You'll do great so long as you have enough passion and belief!

j

www.justinhall.co.uk

Agreed. Listen to Carrie and read the covers off her message.

What can I add? Hopefully I have learned something from 25 years involvement with all aspects, or most should I say.

Digital does not mean you know photography. Its a new fine tool.

Look at as much as you can and be discriminating and discerning. This way you will discover you. When people want to copy you or want what you have, you may be doing something right.

But, clarity is a huge thing as is the desire to continually improve in art, photo tech & business, not to mention people skills.

So, back to clarity. What effect do wish your photos to have on the viewer? Who would you like your viewer to be? OK, this last question is heavy on marketing, but still relevant.

Go for the best equipment you can, but remember its the photographer that matters.

Photoshop is not a substitute for a bad idea.

Learn the hard stuff - art - design - lighting - composition.

How can what you do be unforgettable and memorable?

Don't forget you're in business to count the money, but learn how to do it before you take peoples money.

Just a few points, some philosophical, but this topic is a huge book.

Peter

Thank you all so much for your responses! Wow...I completely agree with all you are saying. Carrie...thank you, thank you, thank you. I admire your work greatly and if I am not yet a great photographer at least I have an eye for beautifully photography (all agree with your wonderful work). So that has to mean something right? HAHA!

But thank you for the suggestions on the books. Specific books I mean. A lot of people tell you to read, read, read, but I come from a very small community and the books in the library are pretty much from 1970 and also the "Photography for Dummies" I actually think I am past that. So it helps to have names and authors for great books so I can buy or order from library exchange. Thank you for your comments on the photograph. It makes it a little easier to know that somebody at least "gets it". It may not make an international magazines or make anyone else happy..but bottom line it got across what it was supposed to and I guess that is what makes great photos great (sometimes)! I know everybody is rolling their eyes at my rationalizing.

Justin, thanks to you also. I know the photograph may not be all that..but it's nice to know that I might be able to take this somewhere! I have been completely offering shoots for free to friends and family...at least kids always grow because at this rate I will have photographed every kid in town for free ;)! Keep those babies coming!

Peter thank you. The would really love to do this. Two reasons, I love photography...creating a photograph you will look at with your children and their children and make you remember those special moments you will never get back. But two, like you said, I am very much a people person. I LOVE LOVE to laugh and make people laugh. I love to capture those moments.

You are all right and I want you to know that I intend to take all of your comments and move forward from here. I am not the type to give up and you can bet I'll have this biz one way or the other. All I want is to give people great photographs, of good quality (whether they know it or not) and have a good time doing it!

I've posted a few new photographs on the beginners section. I would absolutely love for any of you to crit those. I admire each of you and think you all do wonderful work!

Jennifer (sorry it took so long to post back. I didn't realize people were responding to this post as well. I am thrilled I checked!)