Noise reduction and ACR 4.2 (CS3)

Hi,

I do not have any experience with noise reduction software but have read a

number of topics here on photo.net.

From what I've read, I conclude that noise reduction is best done as the first

'manipulation', especially when using the 'profiles' which can be optained.

When using RAW-files ... is it possible to use as first 'manipulation' ?

I do a lot of editing (B&W), so I'm interested in 16bit noise reduction.

So, can anyone tell me how to do noise reduction on RAW-files in 16bit ?

Which workflow is adviced for this ?

Thanks, Marc.

I leave the ACR noise reduction sliders at zero and use NeatImage as the first step of my workflow after opening the image. NeatImage is usually more effective, but sometimes NeatImage can't find large enough uniform patch in a "busy" image to build a profile. That's when I go back into ACR and use the sliders. That seems to work better than Photoshop's own noise reduction tool.

Marc, I was a bit unclear in my post. It should have said "... use NeatImage as the first step of my workflow after opening the image <i>in Photoshop</i>. Obviously, a raw file needs to be converted into an image in ACR before you can do anything with it in Photoshop. The button in ACR to open the image in Photoshop (as opposed to cancelling, saving the image as a TIFF or JPEG, or the "Done" button that saves the adjustments to an XML file but does nothing else) is marked "Open Image," so that's what I really meant.

Right, Marc.

In practice I'd put noise reduction further down in the workflow if I have a raw file- I want to keep it raw for long enough to recover highlight data, get the overall image in good shape before converting to a 16 bit Tiff to play with in Photoshop.

In practice Lightroom's noise reduction is good enough to use most of the time- I only use Noise Ninja on problem files with my 20D.

• 2 weeks later...