SMUGMUG or FLICKR as online backup solution?

Hi,

i am thinking about to use flickr or smugmug as online backup and presenting solution.

My idea is to put nearly all my images (resized to 6mp) to one of this sites and use it to show my friends

and family normal photos (as partys, trips, family, etc) which i dont want to have on my personal

website.I would like to set it up so that public can see max size of 1000pixels.6mp would be just for me

as online backup.

It allso should be able to get keywords from iptc.

My question is which of this services you would sugest? And if you use a service like this.

thank you

I think this idea is lunacy.

You have no agreement with them, and they have no obligation to you to keep your images safe. They could institute a policy at any time to delete old images, or recompress them, or do anything they care to, really.

This is not a backup. Sure, it might be useful if something terrible does happen, but backups need a lot more planning and attention that this.

If you value your work at all, spend a few bucks and do it right.

I use Smugmug myself, but not as backup. Why?

1. A backup must be my RAW file. Smugmug doesn't take RAW.

2. There isn't enough time in a week to upload everything I shoot in a week (about 25 GB

average), even using a fast broadband connection.

And BTW... Robert... mozy.com sounds great, but there MUST be a limit to how much you

can backup for $4.95 per month! I know they say "unlimited", and a brief look at their site

didn't give me the real deal, but I simply can't believe they'd let me upload my Terabyte or

so of digital images. There's just no way.

I've looked at photoshelter.com myself. It looks pretty bulletproof, but again, I have the

upload time issue. And large amounts of storage with these companies is expensive. So

for now, I'm sticking to DVD backups and redundant copies on external drives.

I second the online backup solution. I use Carbonite as my online backup. This is in addition to my local backups. I find that I often do not backup locally as often as I should. I post my images on Flickr but do not consider that as a backup. A. There is no agreement specifying their role to backup my data. B. Even with my pro account I cannot upload my 8MB CR2 files, let alone other data that needs backup.

I know it sounds complicated but I would suggest a local backup which you already do. An online backup to supplement that(god forbid - fire) and an on line site for sharing your work.