How good is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX100?

I want to suggest a digital compact for my friend who has so far shot only

film. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX100 looks an attractive option, but I couldn't

find any reviews on the net. A wide-angle lens and relatively noise-free sub-

ISO 400 shots are important for him (and not the number of pixels).How would

it rate against the Powershot A710IS?

Your experience with this camera will be insightful for me.

Regards,

Nilangsu

Thank you so much, Jordan and Johannes. I checked out the links that you'd sent. I also did some research on Panasonic models in general, and it appears that noise levels are higher across all models in comparison with, say, Canon. My choice would been the now-discontinued Fujifilm Finepix F31fd, the de facto image quality leader. I am undecided now.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Nilangsu

<p>I recently purchased a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3. I had looked at the TX100 also, but passed on it because I wanted a compact camera that took decent video clips, which the TZ3 does, and the TX100 does not. As a still-picture camera the TX100 is arguably better because it gives owners more control over things like contrast and noise reduction than the TZ3. Shots I've seen posted by owners in the Panasonic discussion forum at dpreview.com have been very nice. It is also very compact. The TZ3, on the other hand, has a larger LCD (a gorgeous one) and a 10x zoom lens, and is still quite compact. Both start at a 28mm equivalent wide-angle setting. Both are also very nicely finished, as nice as any digicams out there. So far, I've been very satisfied with my TZ3.</p>

<p>I wouldn't be too quick to accept the Canon SD870IS as automatically better. The test of at dpreview.com shows it also has IQ issues at high ISOs that are similar to the Panasonic Lumix cameras, and a narrow dynamic range. This seems to be common with small-sensor digicams like the ones mentioned above. Also, your friend might want to consider that Consumer Reports survey on digital camera reliability shows that Panasonic has the most-reliable digicams overall. I hope this helps.</p>

I recently purchased for my wife a refurbished Finepix F31fd directly from Fujifilm's website.

I, too, read about it's lowlight capabilities and was disappointed that it was discontinued. But

somewhere on dpreview's website I read that people were buying these refurbished and were

happy with them. So I took the plunge.

We just got it and haven't had to time to fully explore, but so far it seems to be working just

like a new one.