Photoshop Before and After, and Enlargements

bridget_loring

I took a good beating my last time around on this site but also got about 30%

really valuable advice and SO, for those of you who are feeling more

constructive than crotchety, I invite and welcome your input.

I recently got an e-mail from a bride, saying: Help! This is my favorite

picture from our wedding but you can?t see my husband?s face!

So I took a stab at it, here's the before and after.

What is your experience with an edit of this magnitude? Have you done them?

How do they hold up for enlargements? And what do you think of this?

Thanks!<div>00NDYg-39601484.thumb.JPG.7d4f16e1a9c2077a4e197b08536f8309.JPG</div>

Nice shot, Not a bad try but it looks really soft around his mouth though a higher res file may look better than the one posted. I usually shoot a bunch on the recessional or exit, the tilt of the head or look in the eye can make all the difference (as well as bubbles blocking the face). You could try to get a better smile from another pic and blend it on his face. There are some great PS guru's on here that I am sure will help you.

Jane, nice job, but like Steve mentioned, it's a bit soft in spots.

Do you happen to have any other clean shots of his face during the day, in pretty much the same position? if so, rip it from that pic and place it on this pic.

I've only done this kind of thing twice before and it took so much frickin' time that I just don't do it anymore. i would recommend doing the same, either tell the customer that you can't do it or charge according to the time it would take you to do such time consuming editing.

If you are going to go ahead and try to edit this image to stand up to an enlragement and you don't happen to have another picture from which to steal an appropriate smile, then I would recommend copying the right side of the smile, flipping it horizontaly, and using your transform tool to adjust the angle, size, and perspective. Then blending it into the picture. It should help get rid of that softness in your edited picture. I think you did a better job on the eye but I don't think it will stand up to an enlargement, so dito on the eye, copy, flip etc. The nose I think you edited pretty well.

Don't forget your liquify tool, it might help you blend in the copied smile and eye without making them soft.

I think that you did a great job photoshopping, reconstructing faces isnt easy, however like everyone else said its a bit soft, and to newlywed who knows her husband face up down and backwards ANY slight imperfection ( no matter how fab your photoshop job) with JUMP out at her as being unnatural. If you were to use it to show other people (without the before right next to it)who didnt know the groom personally I think that the photoshopping will be much less obviouse.

I would let her know that bubbles fall under act of god through the wind clause and there for nothing can be done.

Or one las option since the eye and nose look good maybe just leave the bubble over his mouth. One of my own personal wedding photos I have a giant bubble right in front of my nose. I look like an angelic bozo the clown. :oP

Hope this helps!

I know your first thought was to take them all out but what would happen if you just make them less opaque? The problem I have is that it looks odd that no bubbles are near his face.

My guess is she likes the shot because of her not him! I think he looks distorted in the after shot. But if you did some less drastic adjustment of the bubbles rather than the face it might be more natural.

On the other hand I agree with Meg, it is what it is. In film no one would consider working with this. I probalby would have dumped it in the sort.

Brooke