color issues

jlemire

I have just noticed that when I open a RAW file into PS CS2, perform whatever

edits and adjustments as appropriate, and then "Save for Web" the resulting jpg

is rather unsaturated. There is a distinct difference between the RAW file in

CS2 and the jpg.

If I shoot in jpg mode and do the same things in CS2, the resulting web file is

fine.

Is there something I'm missing when working with the RAW file?

When you are dealing with only jpegs, you are staying within the same color space confines.

When you are working with the RAW files, you are working with higher bit depth images

(more colors) and when you down sample your bit depth to make a jpeg, you are throwing

out information and picking new colors. Obviously, if you go from 32 million colors to 16

thousand colors, you are not going to have an exact match because you only have 1/2000 as

many colors to work with (roughly).

This is a PS quirk. I say this because it should automaticly set to sRGB when saving for the web. I noticed this for a long time, actually posted, and sent off photos with this problem. I assumed it was the JPEG conversion.

Finally I realized it wasn't converting the color space to sRGB. So what you need to do is convert to sRGB and then save for web. Everything looks nearly identical when you do.

when you save for the web it automatically puts the color space in sRGB.

check to see if your have set color space on your camera and csx to RGB. if yes, then besides saving for web you are changing color space.

personally, i use adobeRGB from beginning to end. i shoot jpeg but save as tiff. when i want a jpeg for the web or other purposes i simply make one with whatever color space i want. also, adobeRGB is larger than sRGB, therefore when your camera is set to adobeRGB you pickup a little headroom for highlights and shadows for the camera.