deal or not. Basically this individual is saying on his tamron 28-200 lens

that the "autofocus malfunctions the longer you zoom." and "It focuses, but it

spins back and forth like it is having a hard time locking on."

Now im asking because (ok here comes my "I have no clue what goes on inside of

a lens talk) it sounds like the autofocus motor or drive is just broken. Does

that mean that you could still use this lens in manual mode? SOunds like the

blades are still in perfect order, and it works, just having focus problems in

AF mode???

Most likely, the long end of the zoom lets in very little light with any contrast so that the AF sensor in the camera can't figure out the focus.

Brighter, contrasty light will do wonders. Low light attempts will be useless.

Sounds like there isn't much wrong with the lens and it appears that it functions as it was designed to.

Wow Vivek, I didnt even think of that possibility. That there could be a possiblility that there is nothing wrong at all. Going in with the idea that there IS something wrong with the autofocus, could this lens still work in manual mode? Or would there always be something wrong. (I know i cannot get a perfect answer without the lens in my possession, or yours. Just looking for tips if you have any) thx.

I too have a Tamron, a 70-300mm which I bought for 99 pounds sterling when I bought my D80 kit. It always has difficulty focussing and even on manual is still soft. My opinion is <i>"What do I expect with such a cheap lens?".</I> It performs better at 270mm than when fully extended but still not good.

Whereas the Nikkor 18-70mm which was bundled with the camera is outstandingly good

Well, we're just speculating here. Here's my take: it's probably out of alignment. It may have been dropped. It may well be that it is no longer capable of taking suitably sharp images at some zoom ranges, and the AF is reacting to that.

A 7x zoom AF lens is a pretty complex mechanical beast, and the ones I have seen are not built to take life's knocks. If you want a 7x zoom, I'd stay away from this sample and find one that's in better shape.

I have the Tamron 28-200 lens. I like it because it is convenient. Yes, the auto focus has problems in low light. Note: when using flash, the lens has to focus in the low level, available light.

<br>

Who is selling the lens? Can you test it before buying? Otherwise . . .

Thanks for the suggestions all. I love this site. I think I know things about photography, and I come here its amazing to see all the good feedback. I couldnt go wrong. I think this lens goes for $300+ brand new. I bought it for 40 bucks. Cant argue with it. If its soft, which I see in a few reviews, then I'll simply pass it on. I've just spent a lot of money upgrading to a D200,MB200, and 2 nikkor lenses, a prime, and a 18-55. So I was looking for something with some distance. I have a tamron 70-300, which believe it or not, i love. Only thing I dont like is the slow focus, but when im shooting racing at the track, thats avoided by prefocusing on a spot. I was looking for something with more range like the nikon 18-200. Just dont have 500 extra bones right now to do so. So i'm taking a stab in the dark!!! I'll let you know how it goes in about a week when all this stuff shows up!!! I'll hope for the best. Maybe put some samples up. This could be interesting. :-)

here is the e bay item number (im posting cause its already a done auction, not trying to make a sale! Dont worry moderators ;-p if anyone wanted a look. 190167319355

Well seems I got a great deal. The focus problem she was talking about, is exactly what Vivek guessed! Great job on that :) Does prefectly fine inside, and outside, just gets a little jumpy on the focus indoors in low light. (like any lens does). This is just a tad more obvious. Either way, I would consider it an awesome find. Thanks for all those that responded. Now, if i can just get some caps for it :S