Zeiss Ikon loupe - any info?

andrew pell

Hello everybody,

<p>

I've been lent a small loupe for gg focusing and I'm trying to identify it in case I ever get chance to purchase another one (doubtfull but you never know). Also I'd like to find out what they were called / any history as I've drawn a blank looking around the web.

<p>

It's marked "Zeiss Ikon, Made in Germany" on the barrel. It is a single element design and seems to be just less than 4x magnification when compared to a silvestri 4x.

<p>

Its dimensions are:

Length "closed" - 50mm (dioptre correction for open / closed)

Length "open" - 70mm

Eyepiece lens diameter - 17mm

Objective end internal diameter - 20mm

Objective end external diameter - 31mm

It is made of alumininum (aluminum) with a black paint coating.

<p>

I like it as it's small, can get into the gg corners and is easy to use.

<p>

I'm looking round for a loupe and thought about the following (to be used on a Sinar p2 gg):

<p>

Toyo 3.6x: like the rubber end caps but is it too long to manipulate into corners? Maybe prefer this slightly lower magnification but haven't had chance to try one yet.

<p>

Toyo "Superior" 4x: can't find any info on the web - is there much difference to the 3.6x and is this the shorter one people refer to?

<p>

Rodenstock 4x: had a go with one and found it very "plasticky" and thought I'd be forever readjusting the dioptre correction. I know it's the one Sinar use so should be OK but didn't have a good feeling about it.

<p>

Schneider 4x: ruled out on cost and size grounds - I've got the 6x6 loupe and it's great but think the new generation versions are bulky and are more designed for lightbox use.

<p>

Silvestri 4x: like this and it seems substantial and a good price. Larger than the zeiss one but brighter. Gave a more contrasty grain on the gg compared to the zeiss but the only camera I could try it on was an MPP with a Beattiescreen which salesman said would be different to a standard gg.

<p>

Silvestri 6x tilting: I like the tilting idea but do you get problems with light leaking in from the side and is 6x too strong for a sinar gg? I don't know how a sinar gg compares to any other for coarseness etc.

<p>

I'm in the UK so trying various loupes is difficult before purchase. The ones I mention above were tried at the recent Focus On Imaging exhibition but I could only try the silvestri 4x against a gg (the company didn't have a tilting one with them) and everbody else only had lightboxes with trannies on.

<p>

Any info appreciated.

<p>

Thanks in advance