Suggestion for a Small External Flash

lili_elrod

Check out this tiny units made by Metz. It looks like a versatile little unit you can use to supplement onboard flash and as a slave for better ligthing effectgs. Decent price unless the Euro gets higher... I have a similar Metz model and it is very handy at times. Also check some of the other flashes by Metz. Hope that is useful lead:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/352521-REG/Metz_MZ52822D_28_CS_2_Digital_Slave.html

Gerry,

I sadly ended up canceling that order, the flash only covers up to 35mm.

Which can be ok for off camera use but such is not my need.

Sigh.

And searching the metz site I find that all the flashes that cover 28mm or more are as big as the Ricoh approved Sigma EF-500 Dg/Dg Super.

Lili,

The flash unit that Gerry recommended comes with clip on panels for 24mm and 85mm. However it is an auto-flash and won't give you TTL metering. Since the GRD has a fully functional hotshoe I would get an appropriate flash that allows you to get TTL metering.

Information on the GR-D is a little sketchy. What dedication is the Sigma flash that they recommend?

If it is the same model for the Nikon, Canon, or even Pentax then you should have a much wider range of options than you know.

It is unfortunately the Sigma dedicated flash gun (SA-STTL).

As far as I know Sigma are basically the only manufacturer that supports this. Even Metz does not have an option for this.

There are some small auto-flashes that might do the trick. The Mecablitz 20 C-2 for example is compact but you will lose TTL metering.

Alistair

I think you are right :(

Oh well, I ordered one of these flashes Saturday.

I *really* need this light for my project with the Motels of Oak Cliff.

TTL metering will be most welcome.

The huge flash atop thae tiny camera?

Silly looking but needs must right?

:)

I think you may still be enticed by the ultra small Metz auto flash one of these days. Small is nice,when you can pocket the unit. Oh well, keep an eye on Metz. One of these days they may adapt to your GR.(which I know little about and find it hard to believe in all those goodies advertised int he GRII in a one inch thin package--just amazing. How come no Ricoh teeny but powerful flash to fit in said hot shoe I am wondering?) W respect to TTL metering, it is nice,but I can use A priority and go with auto flash and get OK results Alistair. That is me, grew up on Vivitars.

I own two Vivitar 285HV flashes but almost never use auto-flash. Instead I dial in power manually! I am so much more of a Luddite than you, Gerry ;)

Since the GR-D has a hotshoe I though a hotshoe unit over the lens would be better than an optically triggered slave to the side.

Pity that Ricoh didn't use a more reasonable dedicated flash system. If it was Nikon, Canon, or even Pentax dedicated then there would be many third party flashes. I guess that Sigma gave them a deal on licensing since their flashes are the only ones that will work.

Alistair and Gerry,

Manual flashes hold no fears for me, save for the off chance I could blow up this quite expensive camera.

A Vivitar 283HV migth've worked fine, but as long as I was going that big I decided to go with the 'recommended' flash.

I do not use flash that much, till this project I worked with avaialble light mostly.

Live and Learn though, right?

Luckily for me there are a variety of flashes that will work on my G9 including small ones. I have a 550EX, which is similar in size to the Sigma units, and it just feels silly on the G9. Very unbalanced forward.

The Metz flash that I recommended is a hot shoe autoflash. It is not purely manual flash, it will meter just not through the lens. Gerry recommended a similar model with an optical trigger that mounts next to the camera.

One solution to the small camera with the big flash would be a flash bracket with an integral grip.

Alistair,

I tried to find the Metz 20 C-2,I think thats the hot shoe flash you recommended, it seems not be avail through Amazon, however I'll keep looking

If a Sigma sized flash is too much on your G9 imagine it on the much tinier GRD!

The bracket is a good idea, of course unless it is dedicated then one loses TTL metering :(

• 1 month later...