D200 possible banding

milos_papic

Hello all,

I am sure this was discussed here to no end, but spare some time for a digital

newbie if you have D200.

Purchased it a month ago and noticed this a few days ago. Been busy reading

rave reviews and manuals in the meantime.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16241304@N07/1771313953/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16241304@N07/1771313543/

I posted these two, but have more examples. It seemed to me that these are the

worst, especially no.1.

Shot RAW, first with 18-70, ISO 500 and second one with 50mm/1.8 ISO 1000. I

havent noticed any problems on ISO 100 but seems pity that i cannot use ISO

100+ because of this.

Also, i noticed that lines are less visible if i shoot JPEG.

Firmware version is 2.00.

Return of the camera is no longer an option. Service is possible of course.

What is your opinion, is this a defect or some inherent characteristic of D200.

Type I or type II banding?

Thanks in advance for your help.

That looks like type 1 banding or short banding. How large are these crops? Also, all of the noise makes it seem these have been lightened with a curves adjustment or some such, which may have exaggerated the banding(?). Also, is that blue CA? Seems horribly prominent. I again would wonder at the size of the crop.

I overlooked your post on the return.

Is the camera bought used? I don't know if Nikon will fix it for free.

BTW, I am aware of some of the fix stories (from elsewhere) where the fix was not totally effective but made the camera 'better' than before.

So, think carefully before spending money on any 'fixes'.

Some banding in probably inherent to the D200's sensor that has a 4-channel readout. It tends to happen when there is a drastic birght-to-dark transition.

I have had my D200 for 6 months and have never noticed this problem, but I am not sure D200 banding can be 100% eliminated. If you are picky about bright-to-dark transitions, the D200 may not be the right camera for you.

That looks like type I, which Nikon informed me was how the sensor inherently handled the dark/bright transition. This is a quote from Nikon Technical Support's response to my query last spring:

"Some very short blooming lines around overexposed areas is normal with the D200. Each camera handles blooming differently which is why you haven't seen this artifact on the D50. As long as the lines aren't the entire length of the image your camera is fine. THANKS"

Shun may be right, this may be inherent to the camera. I seem to remember, however, that this only occured at ISO 400, or am I misremembering?

That's definitely banding and characteristic of the D200. It looks to me like you have underexposed and then tried to drag too much out of the shadows too, you can?t do this with a D200, you need to expose for the midtones/shadows and risk loosing some of your highlights. Some other brands it?s quite the opposite. My D200 spent most of its first year being warranty fixed for banding and a host of other problems and although these issues have been resolved (begrudgingly by Nikon) I?m selling my entire Nikon kit and going over to Canon. The D200 has a severe problem in dealing with highlights and shadows (tonal gradation & dynamic range) and while I love the look and feel of the Nikon gear if it doesn?t give you the results you?re after why waist anymore time or money on it.

Good Luck :)